Hamilton Spectator

Deaths Nov-Dec 1877


November 19, 1877


WILLIAMS (Toronto) - In the case of David Williams, the Grand Trunk switchman who was killed yesterday, the jury at the inquest returned the following verdict: "We the jury find that David Williams was accidentally killed on the Grand Trunk Railroad at the foot of Simcoe street while in the discharge of his duty, and we censure the company for not making a proper provision by filling up the frogs to prevent such accidents". Deceased was 28 years of age and had been married four months. A special train conveyed the remains and a number of friends, and members of the Masonic order to Weston this morning and deceased was buried in the Methodist cemetery there this afternoon.


SCOTT (Toronto) - The coroner's jury in the case of William Scott, collector, found dead in a room in the William the Third hotel, returned a verdict to the effect that he died from the rupture of a blood vessel, but what caused the rupture there was no evidence to show. Cochrane Blair, brother of deceased's wife, was, on the order of the coroner, detained during the inquiry, several witnesses testifying that he severely beat Scott the day before his death, but as there was nothing to show that any injuries were inflicted sufficient to cause death, he was discharged.


BAKER (Toronto) Mrs. Caroline Baker, about 60 years of age, fell dead this afternoon. She was subject to fits.


GREENBAUM (Toronto) - A boy named Max Greenbaum, four and a half years old, was run over on Friday by a street car on King street Bast. He died this evening from the injuries received. The driver is not blamed. An inquest will be held to‑morrow. The car had no conductor.


BRUCE (London) - A man named Bruce, a tailor by trade, died at Arkona. on Friday morning, very suddenly, resulting from excessive drinking, lack of food, and exposure.


November 20, 1877


MORTON (Halifax) - A young man, named John Morton, died yesterday from lockjaw, brought on by a rusty nail being driven into his foot.


EGAN (Halifax) An old woman named Egan died in Arbor street from injuries received by the bursting of a kerosene lamp.


PETERS (Port Dalhousie) - A man named Joseph "Peters committed suicide here on Saturday by taking a quantity of laudanum. Deceased was from Vermilion where he has a family of wife and

three children. An inquest was held by Coroner Goodmen and a verdict of "suicide while depressed in spirits" returned.


MARICIEN (Penetanguishene) - F. Maricien, a French Canadian, was accidentally killed last week while working at one of the lumbering shanties near here by the falling of a limb. He leaves a wife and large family almost destitute.


November 21, 1877


HARE (Ottawa) - A boy named Hare was drowned in the Quio tiiver yesterday while out sailing in a bark canoe.


LALONNIERE (Montreal) - Louis Lalonniere, a carpenter, 48 years of age, in a fit of insanity, committed suicide by jumping into the St. Lawrence.


MCQUESTEN (Montreal) - Patrick McQuesten, for fifteen years Chief Engineer under the Corporation of this city, died this morning.


SHEHYN - The funeral of the late Miss Shehyn, daughter of the M.P.P. for Quebec East, took place this morning and was largely attended.


CANUCHINTZ - A "Citizen's" special from "Pembroke says of the murder of Chief Canushintz at Tectiscomangue by his brother, Chargesse: it appears from the evidence taken at the examination before John Doven and on which he was committed, that Chargesse had a daughter of about 20 years of age who had been living in a state of concubinage with her father's brother who was the chief of a large tribe of Indians but had through solicitations from her parents left the chief, and the quarrel appears to have originated through the chief wanting his niece to live with him again in opposition to the wishes of her parents. At the time when the foul deed was committed, the prisoner, his wife, and a son about 11 years, and daughter, with the chief, were crossing a portage in the neighbourhood of Mud Lake. The chief, Chargesse and his son were of some distance from the rest, when the prisoner got behind the chief and struck him with a tomahawk or small hatchet on the back of the head and did not desist till the body was mangled in a frightful manner. The frightened boy ran away in the direction of his mother and sister, and in the meantime Chargesse had dragged and hid the body in a portion of the bush that was very dense with overhanging trees and thick foliage. When his wife, son, and daughter came up to Chargesse, he was in a great rage and threatened to kill his daughter. This evidence obtained from members of his own family.

It is said that Chargesse's defence is that his daughter struck the first and final blow with a paddle she was carrying, that he and his brother had clinched and the chief was getting

the better of it when his son got hold of the chief's legs and his daughter beat his (the chief's) skull in with a paddle. Chargesse was after this left alone with the body, when to hide the crime, he concealed it with the intention of burying it in pieces. His son, in fright, left the scene previous to this and told the first person he met, a Hudson Bay Company's official, that an Indian had been killed at the other end of the Portage by some one.


JOHNSON (Belleville) - Mrs. Johnson, wife of a teamster, fell dead in her house yesterday afternoon from heart disease.


EDWARDS - News has been received of the death in New Zealand of William Edwards, late of Port Stanley, in the 64th year of his age.


O'DELL - Mrs. Shelden O'Dell, for forty years a resident of London, had just died, aged 71 years.


GOOD (Toronto) - Mrs. Margaret Good, while preparing dinner to‑day, fell down dead in an apoplectic fit. This is the fourth sudden death reported this week. Deceased leaves four children. Her husband resides in England.


BELANGER (Des Joachims, Quebec) - While the steamer, "Deux Rivers" was making her way down trip last night, a man in the employ of the Thistle and Carswell, named Belanger, is supposed to have fallen overboard and to have drowned. He was not missed till the boat arrived at her destination, but was noticed to be intoxicated when last seen.


STEELE - On Friday morning last, after little more than a single day's serious illness, Anne Bertha, the young wife of Mr. James J. Steele, of Greensville, was suddenly called away by the messenger of death. Some three months ago, after her confinement, Mrs. Steele had been laid up by an attack of typhoid fever. The weakness consequent on this illness had not disappeared and a cold brought on laryngitis which ended in her sudden death at the time stated.


November 22, 1877


IRVINE - On Tuesday afternoon, the mortal remains of Bro. William Irvine, of L.O.L., No 779, Hamilton, were interred at Dundas. Mr. Stiff, the superintendent of the G.W.R., kindly placed a special train at the disposal of the brethren from this city who wished to attend the funeral. A very large number of the order attended the funeral obsequies and the Orange Band were present. The funeral took place from the deceased's late residence, the band leading the mournful cortege playing the dead march. The brethren of 779 desire to thank Mr. Stiff for the courtesy extended to them on the occasion.

November 23, 1877


CALLAHAN - An old farmer, named Callahan, died very suddenly yesterday at Valcartier while sitting in a neighbour's house engaged in conversation. The woman to whom he was talking noticed that he failed to continue the conversation and on looking at him she discovered that he was dead.


MCCORMICK - An old vagrant, named Anna McCormick, died in the cells of the Police Station, Montreal, from the effects of exposure.


LANE (Watford) - Mr. T. Lane, an old resident, died suddenly about 3 p.m. to‑day. He was in perfect health about ten minutes before. It is supposed death was caused by the bursting of a blood vessel as he bled a great deal from the mouth. He had been drinking hard for some time past.


November 24, 1877


BROWN - Died on the 23rd instant, Elizabeth Johnston, relict of the late William Brown, Esq., in the 82nd year of her age. Funeral from the residence of her son, Adam Brown, Esq., Herkimer street, on Monday, 26th instant, at 3 o'clock. Friends and acquaintances will please accept this intimation.

It is with great regret we have to announce this morning the death of the mother of Adam Brown, Esq., which took place at that gentleman's residence last evening, She had been ill for about a week, but although her ultimate recovery was not looked for, her demise was not expected so soon. The deceased lady was a native of Berwickshire, Scotland, and has been a resident of this city for upwards of twenty‑five years past. At the time of her death she was in the 82nd year of her age. The funeral will take place on Monday next, the 26th instant, from the residence of Mr. Brown, Herkimer street.


BELYEA (St. Catharines) - The body of John Belyea, captain of the Ill‑fated schooner "Magellan" was washed ashore at Two Rivers, Wis., near the scene of the disaster, yesterday. The body was frightfully mangled, strengthening the conviction here that the "Magellan" collided with some unknown vessel.


November 26, 1877


EDWARDS (Montreal) - A woman named Anna Edwards was found dead on a doorstep on Blenry street this morning with a bottle of whiskey by her side.


MARIEHALL (Qiebec) - About one o'clock this morning, a man named Mariehall, who was working on the steamer "Stephenson" loading at Crawford's wharf, came ashore to take his

supper but while walking across the wharf, went too near the edge and fell over. His comrades, on hearing the splash, ran to his assistance, but the unfortunate man never rose to the surface again. Deceased belonged to Levis and was aged about forty years. Up to the present time, the body has not been recovered.


November 27, 1877


FARON (Ottawa) - A man named Faron was killed in the Gatineau near Victoria farm by being thrown from a wagon. He fell on a boulder and had his skull fractured.


MCKAY (Montreal) - Edward McKay, aged 17, fell down at his father's door yesterday, and before many minutes expired. He was in his usual good health the moment before.


November 28, 1877


FURLONG - Died in this city, on the 26th instant, Mrs. Furlong, In her 55th year. The funeral will take place from her late residence, No 77 Cherry street south, at 2 p.m. today (Wed). Friends and acquaintances will please accept this intimation.


INGRAM - Died on the 27th instant, Thomas C. Ingram, aged 24 years. The funeral will leave his late residence, Wortley Road, Woodview, London South, on Thursday, November 29th, at 10 a.m. Friends will please accept this intimation.


HARRINGTON (Ottawa) - The wife of T. D. Harrington, Deputy Receiver‑General, died to‑day.


BISSON (Montreal) - Widow Bisson, 75 years of age, died suddenly in St. James Roman Catholic Church while attending early mass to‑day.


BOLDUE - The body of Mr. Francis Boldue, of Levis, who had mysteriously disappeared from his home since Friday night, was found in the river last night near Crawford's wharf. An inquest was held and a verdict returned of "death by drowning".


PARE - A boy, named Pare, died in St. Roche this morning from injuries received by him, some time ago when working in Drum's cabinet factory.


MACAULAY (Kingston) - The body of a man named Macaulay was found in the harbour this morning. Supposed suicide.


LOVITT (Lindsay) - An old man named Simon Lovitt fell downstairs at the Globe Hotel on Saturday morning last and received such injuries that he died on Sunday.

KNIGHT (Guelph) - We regret to learn that one of the students, named John Knight, from Prince Edward Island, died at the College on Sunday afternoon of congestion of the brain. Deceased came to the College in October and was taken ill on Tuesday last, but nothing serious was apprehended till Saturday morning about eight o'clock when symptoms of congestion began to set in, and in spite of exertions of his medical attendants, Drs. McGuire and Keating, the disease continued to gain the mastery till death ensued. Deceased was about sixteen years of age.


November 29, 1877


WILSON - Died at the residence of her son, Mr. William T. Wilson, Woodhouse, on the 20th instant, Achsah Maria, relict of the late McFarland Wilson, Esq., in the 87th year of her age.


LONG (Thorold) - Yesterday while the Great Western Railway Buffalo express was going south on the Welland Railway, it ran over a man named William Long, killing him instantly. He was about 45 years old and a stranger here. It was not ascertained whether he was married or not. The Coroner's jury brought in a verdict to‑day exonerating the engineer from all blame. The engineer condemned in severe terms the habit that sectionmen have of paying no attention to the whistle and remaining on the track until the train is almost upon them before they step off. He said it was impossible for the engineer always to tell whether it was a sectionman or a stranger that was lingering on the track till it was too late.


FRASER - The wife of Rev. Dr. Fraser, Missionary of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, died at Formosa, China, on the 4th of October of puerperal fever. The deceased lady was a daughter of Mr. Jacob Wells, Aurora. It is between two and three years since Dr. Fraser and his wife went to China.


HAGARTY - Yesterday morning, a woman named Ellen Hagarty, an unfortunate wretch who many years ago gave the police in this city much trouble and who was almost every week charged in the Police Court for some crime‑or misdemeanour, was brought before the Magistrate on a charge of vagrancy. She pleaded to be let off and on a promise of leaving the city, her request was granted. She stayed overnight in the city, and this morning started from this city in company with another woman named Cunningham and four men from McCarthy's Corners on her way to St. Catharines, walking on the G.W.R. track. She seemed stupid all the day and showed evidient signs of weariness. She hung behind the rest and appeared unable to keep up to them, but strained every muscle of her weak,

broken‑down body to keep up to the reckless and shameless crowd in front of her. The fears of her comrades, the maddening sense of an awful loneliness, and despair, the effects of a week's debauchery, must have numbed her brain, for she heard not the shriek of the locomotive and the thunder of the train, and was struck by the lightning express which leaves this city at 1:05 p.m. for Buffalo, and flung a bleeding and mangled corpse into the ditch. On hearing of the horrible accident, Constable Begley of the G.W.R. station and Dr. White went down to the scene of the accident near Stoney Creek and brought back the remains which were deposited in the dead house at a late hour last night. An inquest will probably be held to‑day. No blame is attached to the railway employees as it is said the proper signals of danger were given, but no punishment is too severe for the cowardly wretches who accompanied the miserable woman and who might have saved her had they been possessed of the slightest particle of human kindness to one so weak and fallen. The poor creature was alone one hundred yards behind her companions when the accident occurred and was very probably in the last stage of exhaustion. Those who knew Ellen Hagarty in earlier and better days and who perhaps were parties to her shame and ruin, will hear of her awful death with a throb of terror.


November 30, 1877


WILLIAMS - Williams, who murdered his wife at Weston last September, was executed this morning...


KIRKPATRICK - Died this morning, at his residence, corner of Park and Main streets, James Kirkpatrick, late County Treasurer, in the 83rd year of his age. Funeral on Monday, at 2 p.m. Friends and acquaintances will please attend.

It is our melancholy duty to record the death of the late James Kirkpatrick which took place this morning at his residence at the corner of park and Main streets. He has long passed the allotted time of three score and ten, and after a life spent in usefulness and labour, the brave member of the 'Old Guard' has got his route and entered into rest. There was perhaps no man in the city or surrounding country as well known as James Kirkpatrick, and his friends who knew so well the many good qualities of his mind and heart will hear of his death, not perhaps with surprise, but with that regret and feeling of loss which the departure of every good and useful man produces. James Kirkpatrick was born at the village of Ranfield, near Belfast, in the County Down, Ireland, in the year 1794. He married in 1815 and removed to Canada the following year, settling in the Township of Barton. He was immediately employed by the Government in plotting and surveying the surrounding townships, and when the work was done he was engaged in valuing and surveying Indian Lands. He was for many years employed in running division lines in the

townships, and in 1844, he was offered and accepted the office of Treasurer of the County of Wentworth, a position which he held up till last March when he was obliged to relinquish the office he held so long and worthily, on account of old age and infirmity. The name of James Kirkpatrick is so well known in this city and in the County of Wentworth and is so closely connected with their past history that it will not soon be forgotten. He leaves a wife and six children, the latter being the survivors of a family of thirteen. His funeral takes place on Monday at two p.m.


December 1, 1877


PEARSON - Died in the Township of Barton, Robert Pearson, butcher, aged 46 years, late of Yorkshire, England. Funeral will leave his late residence at one o'clock p.m., on Sunday, 2nd December.


RICE - We have to record a sudden death from the administration of chloroform in the village of Ancaster. The wife of Mr. William Rice had been suffering from a tumour under the arm for some time, and Drs. Orton and Brandon went to the house for the purpose of removing the tumour. Two or three minutes after beginning to administer the chloroform, the pulse ceased to beat, and every measure to resuscitate the patient was tried but failed. She had only inhaled one teaspoonful of the chloroform when the unfavourable symptoms were noticed. An inquest was begun by Coroner, Dr. Walker, and adjourned to permit a post mortem examination.


HILL (Brantford) - On Saturday last, the body of Jacob Hill, an Indian, aged 60 years, was found about one mile west of Caledonia by a sectionman employed upon the G.T.R. How he came to his death, no one at present can state, but it is believed that he died from heart disease. Our readers will no doubt remember 'Old Jake', as he was usually called. For many years he was employed by the late John Cameron, Esq., City Clerk, to do chores about the house, and frequently he cut wood for our citizens when he had an opportunity to do so. He belonged to the Mohawk tribe and was buried yesterday.


SECORD - Died at his late residence in the Township of Oakland, on the 9th of October, Asa Secord, aged 82 years. He was born and resided in Oakland during his whole life, and at the time of his death, he was the oldest inhabitant of the township. He leaves a wife and seventeen children. He served his country in the war of 1812, and was one of the deserving pensioners of that memorable period.


POISSON - Dr. U. M. Poisson, coroner for Athabasca, died at his residence this afternoon at 5:30.

BEAUDRY (Montreal) - J. B. Beaudry, a prominent merchant, and brother to the Mayor, died last night.


DAVIDSON - Mr. John Davidson, postmaster of Galt for upwards of twenty years, died this afternoon at 5 o'clock after an illness of about three weeks duration. Paralysis was the cause of death.


December 3, 1877


FAIR - Died at his residence in the Township of Onondaga, on Thursday, the 29th November, Alexander Fair, Esq., aged 65 years and 7 months.


HUTCHINSON - Died on Sunday, 2nd December. Janet Steven, wife of James Hutchinson, aged 70 years. The funeral will leave her late residence, 61 Herkimer street, on Wednesday, 5th instant, at 3 p.m. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.


WISKERS - Died in this city, on December 1st, Joseph Wiskers, in the 45th year of his age. Funeral will leave his late residence, MacNab street opposite the Market, on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Friends and acquaintances will please accept this intimation.


CARNEY (Toronto) - Patrick Carney, aged 33, was found dead this morning in a ditch.


PATTERSON - Isaac Patterson, a returned Californian, was found dead in Lakefield, Quebec. No cause known. The coroner has been notified to hold an inquest.


DE LONGCHAMPS - A shoe maker, employed in Ames, Holden, & Co.'s establishment on Francois Xavier street, Montreal, named John Baptiste de Longchamps, fell from the fourth storey to the bottom of the elevator last night and was instantly killed. He was 43 years of age, married, and leaves a family.


MCNALLY (Montreal) - The coroner's jury returned a verdict that Mary McNally, who died suddenly yesterday, came to her death from the excessive use of intoxicating liquor.


December 4, 1877


LEAK (London) - Mr. S. P. Leak, foreman of the carving department in Moorehead's furniture manufactory, died to‑day very suddenly, aged 48 years. He was struck down on Saturday afternoon while at work, by a fit of dizziness and sharp pains in the head, and was taken home in intense suffering, but lingered till this morning. His physician described his attack as one of apoplexy. Mr. Leak leaved a widow and ten children.

MARLATT - A man named Allen Marlatt, a resident of Beamsville, committed suicide last night by shooting himself in the head. Temporary insanity induced by the excessive use of liquor is supposed to be the cause. Deceased was unmarried.


TRAUFLER - Between five and six o'clock last evening, a young man named John Traufler and about 25 years of age, employed at Messrs A. Laidlaw 8c Go's foundry on Mary street below Wilson, met with an accident which cost him his life. It seems that he went upstairs to the top flat of the foundry to see after stove pipes, and missing his footing, fell through the opening in the floor where the hoist is situated and alighted on his head on the scales below, a distance of 35 or 40 feet. He was taken up in an insensible condition and a medical examination revealed the fact that he had sustained a severe fracture of the skull as well as other injuries. He was attended by Drs. George Mackelcan, Jr, and Bullen. About four hours after the accident, death ensued.

An inquest will be held this morning at 10 o'clock before Coroner Mackelcam at the City Hall when we will be enabled to lay the full facts of the unfortunate affair before our readers.

The deceased was a citizen of Buffalo, and we believe was not long in the employ of Messrs Laidlaw & Co. His friends removed the body to that city for interment.


December 5, 1877


BROWN (London) - It turns out that the young woman who threw herself before the locomotive on the L. and P.S. Railway yesterday, was a Miss Elizabeth Brown, daughter of Mr. Johnson Brown of Westminster, a former resident of Port Hope. It appears that she had for some years some mental affliction giving her great pain and nervous irritation, causing her almost to be despondent. The jury found a verdict of "Suicide while temporarily insane".


MCDONALD (Halifax) - William McDonald of Mainadish, Cape Breton, mate of the brigantine "Clifford',' was drowned on the passage from Jamaica to this port.


CONEY (Halifax) - An old man, named John Coney, messenger to the City Hospital, dropped dead to‑day while making a purchase in a grocery store.


FULLER (St. Catharines) - A man named J. R. Fuller, gardener by occupation who resided at 94 Lake street, dropped dead between eight and nine o'clock this morning while walking along the street. Dr. Downey was summoned and gave it as his opinion that he came to his death by apoplexy, and that an inquest would be unnecessary.

MCCARTY (Kingston) - About 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the bodies of John and Thomas McCarty, who were drowned while returning home from a visit to the schooner "Morning Star" on Sunday evening, were found about one hundred feet from the shore, indicating that they had swum a good distance after being suffocated.


December 6, 1877


CORBELL - Ferdinand Corbeil, an absconding grocer and formerly a lawyer in St. Jean Baptiste village, committed suicide in the United States by jumping off a train down a precipice.


HENLEY (Montreal) - The body of Joseph Henley was found in the canal to‑day near where his hat was taken out yesterday.


MCMILLAN - A sad and fatal accident happened to Mr. Neil McMillan, of the 3rd concession of Howard, on Saturday last. It seems that Mr. McMillan was in the bush splitting wood, and while waiting for the boy and team to come for a load, he sat down on a log. John Atkinson was in the bush shooting squirrels, and seeing one running on a log some fifteen or twenty rods from it, he fired the ball, striking Mr. McMillan in the neck and passing from right to left. Mr. McMillan immediately shouted, when Atkinson discovered, to his horror, that he had shot a man. Drs. Smith of Ridgetown and Stalker of Harwich were immediately summoned and did all in their power to relieve the young man's sufferings. He lingered in terrible agony until the 2nd instant when death came to his relief.


December 7, 1877


BURKHOLDER - Died at the residence of his father, Winona, December 6th, 1877, Dr. J. W. Burkholder, late of Palermo, in his 38th year. Funeral at 10 o'clock on Sunday at Winona.


LUMSDEN - Died in this city, this morning, Grace Alexandra, third daughter of Rev. William Lumsden, aged 12 years and 1 month. The funeral will take place from No 79 Bay street north, to‑morrow, at 2:30 p.m. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.


THOMPSON - A man named Thompson was drowned in the Gatineau last night while attempting to capture a deer. His boat capsized, and before assistance could ge given, he was drowned.


PERIN (Prescott) - A woman named Mrs. Perin died suddenly to‑day on a St. Lawrence and Ottawa train. She was en route to Coteau Landing where her relations reside.

CAUCHON (Winnipeg) - Madame Cauchon died at the Government House last night at 12:30. Her remains will be buried on Monday at St. Boniface. Flags are flying at half mast as a mark of respect.


DOWELL (Clifton) - A man, named Dowell, from Buffalo, came to the mill at the Niagara Falls, N.y. this morning in hopes of getting work, and while being taken up in the elevator and stepping off before it stopped, he fell a distance of three storeys into the cellar, killing him instantly.


December 8, 1877


CULLERTON (Goderich) - This morning James Cullerton, employed at the Manhattan Salt Mines, while in the act of bringing a boat across the river to the breakwater in order to take the workmen over to the mine, accidentally fell overboard and was drowned before assistance could be rendered. The body was recovered shortly afterwards. Deceased leaves a wife and family.


DEVERELL - John E. Deverell of Mud Lake, Township of Carden, was drowned last Tuesday by breaking through the ice while skating.


SEDORE (Lucknow) - An accident resulting in the death of Mrs. Sedore, wife of Abraham Sedore who resides on the 8th concession of Kinloss, occurred last night about eight o'clock. Mrs. Sedore was on her way home in the wagon of Thomas Donovan, a near neighbour. The night being very dark, Donovan trusted to his horses to keep the way. When about three miles north of the village, the horses went over an embankment, upsetting the wagon. It is thought that Mrs. Sedore, in falling, must have struck her head against the fence at the bottom of the embankment. Her death was almost instantaneous. Mrs. Sedore leaves a large family. Her husband is at present in Muskoka district looking for land where they intended to make their home and is entirely ignorant of his loss. Mr. Donovan was not seriously hurt.


HAMILTON (Clifford) - George Hamilton, wagon maker of this place, who had been drinking for several days, took poison which he says was strychnine about four o'clock on Saturday morning last. He was taken soon after with convulsions. Dr. Mackie was called at once and did all he could for him. The convulsions lasted all day, after which for two or three days he seemed better. Hopes were entertained of his recovery but he died to‑day at one o'clock. Family troubles and drink‑are the supposed cause. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his loss.

December 10, 1877


GRIFFIN - Died on the 9th instant, Nora Griffin, niece of the late Michael Roonan, aged 28 years. Funeral will leave the residence of John Roonan, corner of Wellington and Cannon streets, at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, 11th instant. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.


PROVOST (Montreal) - The body of a labourer named Provost, 48 years old, was found in the canal basin at Black's bridge to‑day. Deceased has been missing some time.


KNAPP - Mr. Frank B. Knapp, formerly a resident of Ingersoll, died on Sunday 24th November, at Jacksonville, Florida, of yellow fever. He was only 30 years of age, and was the son of F. A. Knapp, of Toronto.


DAVIDSON (Walkerton) - Hugh Davidson, druggist, a well and favourable known citizen, suddenly dropped dead in his shop last evening. Heart disease is supposed to have been the cause of his death.


CORNEAUS (Montreal) - A son of Mr. Corneaus, of St. Joseph street, was burned to death by his clothes catching fire from matches with which he was playing.


December 11, 1877


CLARK - On Saturday evening about half past six o'clock, a teamster named Joseph Clark, in company with a man named Cavanaugh, was driving home to Edgar in the Township of Oro. When about five miles from Barrie, both fell off the top of the wagon which must have passed over Clark. He was at once conveyed to the Crown Hotel, but on his way thither he died. Coroner Bray of Craighurst was at once notified of the fact and subsequently held an inquest. Drs. Wells and McConkey held a post mortem examination and the medical testimony was to the effect that death resulted from the rupture of the liver which severed the portal vein and caused internal hemorrhage. A verdict was rendered in accordance with the facts. The deceased was about 40 years of age and leaves a wife and six children wholly unprovided for. During the inquest, Mr. Donald Campbell of the Bank of Toronto succeeded in raising $58 for the relief of the distressed family.


COLLINS (Tillsonburg) - This usually quiet town was on Friday afternoon disturbed by the news that Miss Theresa Collins had suddenly dropped dead on her bedroom floor from an affection of the heart. Suspicions of foul play were at once hinted at on account of various rumours concerning Miss Collins and Mr. John Lutz, son of Mr. Edward Lutz, at whose House Mrs. Collins and daughter were visiting. Saturday morning, Dr. Ault, coroner, decided to hold an

inquest on the remains. A jury of twenty‑two of our citizens were called and sworn, and after viewing the body, adjourned till 8 p.m. so as to allow a post mortem examination by Dr. Joy, coroner, assisted by Dr. Moore of this town.

On the inquest being resumed, Drs. Joy and Moore, on being sworn, deposed that deceased came to her death from the effects of an abortion, there being evidence of both medicine and instruments having been used to produce the same.

It appears that Miss Collins had been boarding at Lutz's during a greater part of the summer and fall and was supposed to be receiving the attentions of Mr. John Lutz. Mrs. Collins, formerly a resident of this vicinity, but now living in Ohio, had returned to Canada about a week ago for the purpose of taking her daughter home with her, but in this she was opposed by her daughter who wished to remain here.

At a late hour, the inquest was adjourned till ten o'clock this morning. On its being resumed, John Lutz, being sworn, admitted to improper intercourse between him and deceased; also that an engagement of marriage had existed which he had intended to fulfil. Other witnesses were called, among them Mrs. Harris, a neighbour, who deposed that when called after the death she found a syringe on the bedroom floor, and was particularly desired by Mrs. Lutz not to mention the fact. It was then decided to arrest certain parties on suspicion, and accordingly warrants were issued against John Lutz, Mrs. Lutz, and Mrs. Collins.

The inquest is to be resumed to‑morrow at 10 a.m. when further and more important information is expected to be forthcoming.

Yesterday the remains were removed for interment to Mount Elgin and buried in the family burying ground, the funeral being largely attended by friends and neighbours of the family, they being very respectably connected there. Deceased was just sixteen years of age and of rather an attractive appearance. Great excitement prevails in the town and vicinity over her and her untimely death.


DENMARK - Friday's "Spectator" contained an account of a fearful accident which happened to a workman named George Denmark, employed in the filling up at the trestle bridge on the G. W. Railway, Toronto branch. The unfortunate man had been engaged in shovelling sand from a pit when the walls caved in and the poor fellow was badly crushed. He was taken out and carried home where, after lingering in greet pain, he expired yesterday at 11:30 a.m. An inquest was held before Dr. White, coroner, at Reeves's Hotel, King street, and evidence taken, but no other facts were elicited save those which have already appeared in this column. The verdict rendered by the jury was as follows: "That the deceased, George Denmark, died from the rupture of the urethra and fracture of the pelvis, produced by the falling of a quantity of earth on him while working under an embankment near the trestle bridge on the G. W. Railway, and that no blame can be attached to anyone connected with the work".

The late George Denmark was born in England, belonged to the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and was 58 years of age.

December 12, 1877


MCDONALD (Ottawa) - Yesterday a son of Kenneth McDonald, of Richmond, while out skating on the Jack River, broke through the ice and was drowned. The body was recovered, but it was not considered necessary to hold an inquest.


December 13, 1877


JOHNSTON (Ottawa) - A boy named Johnston was drowned above Deschene yesterday.


WHYTE (Montreal) - William Whyte, an old man who was run over in the streets a few weeks since, died from the effects of his injuries.


SEGUIN - A young child of Mr. Seguin, on St. Ann's street, died from the effects of a bite of a rat.


WHITE - Mr. Thomas White, Sr., of Peterborough, father of Thomas and Richard White of the "Gazette", died this morning. Mr. White was postmaster of Peterborough.


MAQUIN (Montreal) - Henry Maquin, a tailor, who was given to intemperance, committed suicide by hanging himself to‑day. He leaves a wife and child. Deceased had often threatened to take his life.


KENNEDY (Toronto) - The young man, Hugh Kennedy, who was knocked down by a runaway horse on Yonge street a day or two ago, died this evening from the injuries he received.


December 14, 1877


MCROUT (Ottawa) The remains of a man named George McRout, who was killed in a Michigan shanty, reached this city this evening.


CLENCH (Port Hope) - Thomas B. Clench of Cobourg, having missed the train going east last night and failing to get a chance on a freight train, started to walk home on the track, but before reaching the end of the viaduct near this station, by some means missed his footing and fell through to the ground, a distance of 40 feet, sustaining injuries from which he must have died in a short time. The body was not found till this morning. Deceased was about 56 years of age and unmarried.

He was highly esteemed in Cobourg and here also where he was well known. An inquest was held to‑day and a verdict rendered of accidental death.


ROCHE (Oakville) - A painful suicide took place here last night between ten and eleven o'clock when Mr. William Hardy Roche, a young man 21 years of age, took his own life by shooting himself through the right temple, and died in about twenty minutes afterwards.

The deceased was book‑keeper in Read's tannery and he went there last night about ten o'clock and was admitted by the night watchman with whom he conversed, and said he had a serious row with his girl. He asked for his revolver and set a lamp chimney on the top of the scales and fired one shot at it, remarking that it worked well. He then went into the office and sat down and wrote two letters, one to his employer Mr. Charles Read, and one to Miss Annie Anderson, a young lady to whom he was engaged and with whom he had words earlier in the evening. When through writing, he sealed them both and said to the watchman that she would get hers in the morning. In a short time, he went out of the office and walked up the hall twice, whistling. All at once he fired and the watchman ran out, and he lay in the hall with a wound in his head. He was unconscious and never rallied.

Mr. Roche was a sober and steady young man and much respected by all who knew him. The sad event has cast a gloom over the community. His mother resides in Port Hope where the remains will be sent for interment. The letters indicated that the rash act was committed through the unpleasantness existing between him and the lady. The jury returned the following verdict: "That the late William Hardy Roche came to his death by a pistol bullet penetrating the brain, fired by his own hand".


SMITH - STARVED TO DEATH - Yesterday there was removed from a house on Burlington street a poor, miserable specimen of humanity named Charles Smith who for the last ten or twelve days has been starving to death in the midst of plenty. None of the parties residing in the neighbourhood seem to know exactly at what time Charles Smith entered the premises and took up his abode, but as near as possible it was estimated that last Friday week was the date. At first he was able to move about somewhat and gather pieces of bread or an occasional pitcher of milk from the kindly disposed in the locality, but latterly the man had had nothing to eat and his condition now is truly terrible, for added to his emaciation from starvation, he is fairly alive with vermin which have eaten holes in his flesh.

The attention of the city authorities was called to the matter and an order procured at the solicitation of a gentleman in Barton, and the poor fellow conveyed to the City Hospital.

We believe that Smith was formerly in the employ of Mr. Garson, Butcher. He states that food never passed his lips for over a week, and the block where he lived is occupied by several families. And this is the 19th century!

December 15, 1877


GAYMOR - On Thursday morning a child of Mr. Francis Gaymor, West Oxford, died in frightful agony from the effects of an accident which it came by on the previous Tuesday. A basin of hot water had been seized hold of by the child who pulled it over and was terribly scalded in consequence.


BLAIN - Died in this city, on Saturday, 15th instant, in the 24th year of her age, E. E. Wilhelmina, only daughter of the late William Blain. Funeral will take place on Tuesday, the 18th instant, from the residence of her mother, Mrs. Shannon, 65 Bold street.


BURNS - Died in this city, on the 15th December, William, the eldest son of Mrs. Burns, aged 21 years. Funeral will take place to‑morrow, at 3:30 p.m., from his mother's residence, Ferry street east. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.


December 17, 1877


SPLIKETT - Died in this city, on Saturday, 15th instant, Edward Castleton, second son of T. G. Spickett, aged 14 months. Funeral will take place this morning at 10 o'clock from 91 Jackson street east.


RICE - Died in this city, on the 17th instant, Catherine, wife of G. S. Rice, Esq., of New Haven, Conn., in the 37th year of her age. Funeral will take place from the residence of H. G. Cooper, No 6 Park street south, on Wednesday, the 19th instant, at 2 o'clock p.m. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.


BRYCE (Toronto) - Mrs. Bryce, widow of the late Thomas Bryce, M.A., died suddenly this morning of apoplexy. She was lying in bed and was about to rise, apparently in her usual health when she suddenly threw up her arms, screamed, and immediately expired.


TEEVIN (Fergus) - This afternoon a number of boys and young men were skating on the Grand River which is partly frozen over and very unsafe as there are a. great many dangerous places when a small lad by the name of Cosbell started into a hole. A young man named Edward Teevin, about 22 years old, jumped in to save the boy and in doing so lost his own life. The current being strong, they both got under the ice. The boy, Cosbell, was got out through the ice in a few minutes not . much the worse, but poor Teevin could not be found. After grappling about twenty minutes, the body was found and restoratives applied, but too late, as the body bad been

in the water about half an hour. A great gloom has been cast over the town by this sad and terrible accident. The friends of the deceased have the sympathy of the whole community in this, their sad bereavement.


INGLIS - Few occurrences have caused so many heavy hearts in Canada, and especially in Hamilton, as the sadness of the death at Brooklyn, New York, of the Rev. Dr. David Inglis, formerly minister of MacNab street Presbyterian church, which was briefly announced on Saturday. We have not space to‑day to go into any general notice of his eminently useful and even brilliant career as a clergymen and public character, and as the best way to give something of what will be the general feeling of the loss sustained by his death at a comparatively early age, we shall reproduce below a sketch given of him by the chairman at the public meeting of citizens when he left us in 1871 to be Professor of Divinity in Knox's College, Toronto.

We may, however, mention that all that is known here is that he has been the victim of malarial fever, caught in visiting a sick member of his congregation at Brooklyn. This is a fine, though melancholy, evidence that he continued the same fearless character in the performance of every duty which so distinguished him when in Canada.


December 18, 1877


RYAN - A special from Plantaganet, Ontario, says: Catherine Ryan, aged 18, daughter of John Ryan, reeve of that town, was drowned yesterday in the Nation River near her father's residence.


JOHNSTON - Died on board "S.S. Castilian", three days out from Bombay, on November 18th, John Johnston, eldest son of the late Robert Johnston, Esq., Annandale, near Grafton, Ontario.


December 19, 1877


MCKINNON - Died in this city, on the 18th instant, Maria Kirkpatrick, wife of the late David McKinnon, barrister. The funeral will take place from her mother's residence, No 40 Main street west, Thursday next, at 3 p.m. Friends will please attend without further notice.


COYLE - The Rev. B. Coyle, P.P. of Emily and Ennismore, Kingston, died in this city (Montreal) at the residence of his nephew. His remains have been taken to Kingston for burial.

BOYLE (Spencerville) - Last night burglars entered the residence of Hugh Boyle, a respectable farmer living near here, causing the death of Mrs. Boyle, she being a very nervous person and troubled with heart disease. Upon the burglars entering her bedroom, she was so shocked that she died a few hours afterwards. No arrests have been made as yet.


KILPATRICK (St John, N.B.) - While Alexander Kilpatrick of Alma, Albert County, was engaged in stream driving, a log struck him on the head and killed him instantly.


ALLSWORTH (London) - The youngest son of A. J. Allsworth, formerly station master on the L. & P.S. R .R., has just died under peculiar circumstances. He was returning from school and fell over a pile of bricksĄ His spine was injured slightly, but nothing was thought of it till spine fever supervened, and he died in great agony.


TELL (Hillsburgh) - Mrs. Tell, aged about eighty, who lived by herself in a small house on a back street in this village, was found about two o'clock to‑day, burned to death. It is supposed her clothes had taken fire from the cooking stove. The fire was still smouldering in her clothes when discovered, but she had evidently been dead for some time.


December 20, 1877


MUNDAY - Died on Thursday, the 20th instant, at 141 Park street north, Elizabeth, the wife of Mr. William Munday, late of H.M. Customs, in the 68th year of her age. Funeral on Saturday, the 22nd, at 3 p.m. Friends will please accept this intimation.


MERRITT - A special from Fitch Bay, Quebec, says that James Merritt, aged 20, was drowned there while bathing.


RALFE (Toronto) - At half past nine yesterday, Robert Ralfe died at No 22 Richmond street, from the effects of a beating he received in the saloon of Thomas O'Connell about seven o'clock last evening. He got into a quarrel with a man named Dennis Flood, a tuner employed at Nordheimer' s, and after some disputing, Flood knocked Ralfe down, having previously struck him several times on the head. Ralfe was taken up sick and giddy but with the bruises apparent on him, and laid on a couch in the saloon where he stayed all night, and this morning not showing signs of consciousness, a doctor was called who pronounced him in a state of coma. He was taken to his boarding house next door, and died there this evening, never having recovered consciousness. After death a swelling was discovered on the left side of his neck. He was foreman of the press room in the "Globe" office and has a wife living in New York. An inquest will be held to‑morrow. Flood is under arrest.

HENNESSEY (London) - A shanty on Thames street, inhabited by a man named Mulligan and several immoral women, was the scene of a horrid spectacle this a.m. A row being heard going on inside by some persons passing, an entrance was effected when four of the women, who had been drunk all night, were disputing as to which of them should be the messenger to fetch a fresh supply of whiskey. On the floor among a few rags lay the dead body of a young infant which appeared to be taken no notice of. On their attention being called to the corpse, one of the women jestingly said she had just baptized it, and began to sing a characteristic rhyme. The visitors had the corpse decently cared for and notified the police. The child was the offspring of Mary Hennessey, a degraded innate of the den, who imputes its paternity to the man, Mulligan.


December 21, 1877


RUTLEY - Died in this city, December 20th, A .D. 1877, George Rutley, a native of Devonshire, England, aged 69 years and 11 months. The funeral will take place from his late residence, No 20 Wellington street north, on Saturday, the 23rd instant, at 3:30 p.m. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.


December 22, 1877


DAVIS - Died on the 21st instant, Mrs. Ann Davis, in the 77th year of her age. Funeral will take place from the residence of her sister, Mrs. Snowden, 48 Hess street, on Sunday, the 23rd instant, at 2 o'clock. Friends and acquaintances will please accept this intimation.


MCCULLOCH - Died in this city, this morning, William McCulloch, aged 27 years. The funeral will take place from his mother's residence, No 4 Little Peel street, on Monday afternoon, at 3 o'clock.


REMINGTON (Montreal) - Mary Ann Remington, a girl of great personal attractions, who has been leading a gay life, died yesterday in prison. Her father, who is in prison, is on the point of death.


JELLY (Mount Forest) - Last evening, Arthur, a lad 12 years old, son of Harry Jelly of this town, in attempting to cross the mill dam of D. Yeomans, to his home, broke through the ice and was drowned. His body was found about two hours afterwards.

HEALY (Toronto) - The body of a man was found in the woods near Carleton race course this morning by two young men who were in search of game. The man had apparently cut a lot of branches from trees in the vicinity and planted them around a space which he subsequently lay down in and took poison, a tin cup having been found by his side which bad contained some poisonous drug. A "Globe" was found near him from which a corner had been torn. On his person being searched, the missing corner was found in a tin box in his pocket, and on it was scribbled: "John Healy is not right in his head and back in great pain. Gardener, aged 50. In Toronto six months, Montreal 26 years. Went to sleep under two pine trees, Sunday, November 11th, 1877, and let me be buried in this place. I am happy and comfortable. My wife is living in Toronto and my son at William Evans's, seedsman, Montreal".

Mrs. Healy is supposed to be at present with her son in Montreal, and the inquest has been adjourned until she can be communicated with.


HOGG (St Thomas) - A fatal accident occurred last night of a very peculiar character. It appears that a man named Kemble was on his way home with a friend, James Hogg, for the latter to buy a goose for Christmas. To make a short cut home, they crossed the waterworks dam. It seems that Kemble was the first to cross and did not miss his companion until he had walked some distance, when looking back he found he was not followed. He returned and gave the alarm, but the body was not found until eleven o'clock, and the accident happened at five. The supposition is that he slipped and fell into the water, coming in contact with something that must have rendered him insensible, as no outcry was heard. Deceased leaves a wife and family.


December 24, 1877


ROBINSON (London) - A young son of Mr. George Robinson, aged about 8 years, while riding on horseback this afternoon, was thrown off and instantly killed, his neck being broken.


MARTEL (Halifax) - Hon. Henry Martel, Legislative Councillor, died at Arichat, Cape Breton, yesterday. He represented Arichat in the House of Assembly for many years, and was transferred to the Legislative Council in 1868.


BOAK (Halifax) - Robert Boak, the father of Mr. Robert Boak, Provincial Treasurer, died to‑day.


GUTHRIE - Samuel Guthrie, of French Vale, Cape Breton, was killed the other day by a tree falling on him.


MCCULLOCH - It is with feelings of extreme regret that we are called upon to announce the death of a highly respected young Hamiltonian, Mr. William McCulloch, brother of Mr. David

McCulloch of this journal, which ocourred at eleven o'clock on Saturday morning. The deceased, at the age of sixteen, entered the general offices of the Great Western Railway at the time when Mr. Swinyard was General Manager and Mr. Price, Treasurer of the road. In the course of a few months, his abilities attracted Mr. Price's attention and that gentleman offered him a position in the Treasurer's office which he accepted and filled in a highly acceptable manner for nearly seven years. At an important period in the affairs of the Wellington, Grey, and Bruce Railroad, Mr. McCulloch was appointed secretary‑treasurer of that road, and the duties of the station were fulfilled to the satisfaction of all, his executive abilities being the subject of remark among the leading financiers of the day. This position he filled till the Wellington, Grey, and Bruce was merged into the Great Western. Deceased was a warm‑hearted friend and leaves behind him a large circle of acquaintances to mourn his early death.


December 25, 1877


WHYTE - Yesterday a man named S. Whyte, employed in Perley and Potter's shanties on the Upper Ottawa, was killed while felling a tree.


O'NEIL (Halifax) - Jenard O'Neil, the well‑known crockery merchant, dropped dead to‑day in the street in front of the International Hotel.


HATFIELD - A terrible drowning accident occurred yesterday at Turkethakes, fifteen miles from Yarmouth. Three children, two of them belonging to David Hatfield, went on the ice which gave way and let them in. The Hatfield family, including himself, wife, and two daughters, rushed to the scene, and in the excitement all got into the water. Mrs. Hatfield, a daughter aged ten years, another daughter aged six, and son aged ten, were all drowned.


December 26, 1877


COLE (Ottawa) - The lifeless body of a man named Thomas Cole was found this morning in a gateway on York street. He had been out drinking last night and on his way home strayed into Henry's yard where he lay down and died from cold and exposure. An inquest was held this morning when a verdict of "death through intemperance, cold and exposure" was returned.


RODGERS (St John, N.B.) - James Rodgers walked off the end of Rankin's wharf last night and was drowned.


SANDERS - Died in this city, on the 26th instant, the Rev. Henry Sanders, in the 51st year of his age.

SANDERS - We regret to have to record the death of the Rev. Henry Sanders, the highly esteemed and talented pastor of the Congregational Church which took place at his residence, Hughson street north, this morning.

The deceased was in the 57th year of his age and has been pastor of the Congregational church in this city a little over four years, having entered upon his duties in October, 1873. Mr. Sanders was a native of Leicestershire, England. His first church was in Whitehaven, Cumberland; then he removed to take charge of the Zion Congregational Church, Wakefield, Yorkshire, where for almost sixteen years he ministered to a large and influential church. He left Wakefield to come to Hamilton at the above named period amid the general regret of both the church and the public of Wakefield where he was held in the highest esteem, being highly appreciated and beloved by his large church.

One of the considerations that led to his leaving Wakefield church to take the oversight of the church of Hamilton was the hope that the clearer and drier atmosphere of Canada would be beneficial to his health. For a time he felt great benefit and the prospects of the church and pastor seemed brighter, but early in this year, his health gave way. After some months rest, he again in July resumed his duties, feeling somewhat better. His anxiety for the church caused him to begin his work sooner than he should have done, and the consequence was that about six weeks ago he was again laid aside. He resolved to take a voyage across the Atlantic and the church gave him six months leave of absence for that purpose, but he got gradually worse and passed away peacefully this morning.

Mr. Sanders was a man of fine mental abilities and of a very loveable disposition. Those who knew him most intimately could not help being drawn, towards him. He was very transparent and had a great hatred of everything like ahem. His preaching was of a high order and his disposition recoiled from everything that pointed to display, and consequently he never drew the crowd. Those who attended his ministry feel that they have lost one whose place cannot be.filled. He was held in the highest esteem by his brethren in the ministry and their regret at his removal will be sincere and widespread. He leave a widow and an only son to mourn his loss. We understand that he will be interred at Guelph on Saturday.


CHATLEY - The funeral of the late Mr. Chatley was largely attended by the members of the Independent Order of Oddfellows of which he a highly respected member. Deceased belonged to Unity Lodge.


December 27, 1877


MAHONEY (London) - This afternoon at two o'clock, William Mahoney, an attendant at the City Hospital, suddenly dropped dead while in the act of cutting some tobacco. He was 30 years of age and generally respected. An inquest will be held.

LUCAS - It is said that the friends of the late James Lucas who met with a fatal accident near Courtright a short time ago intend suing the corporation of Moore for $25000. They claim that the road was not the proper width and consequently unsafe for travel on after dark.


DURERS - Yesterday afternoon, an inquest was held at No 1 Police Station on the body of the sailor which was found in the Bay. In the evidence, it was proved that he was drowned from a raft while engaged in caulking the bottom of the steamer "Celtic". He was a Frenchman and was an employee at Grodin's. After hearing a portion of the evidence the inquest was adjourned for a week. The name of the deceased is Louis Durers.


TOCHER - In the evening, an inquest was held before Coroner Woolverton on the body of Lavinia Tocher whose sudden death we chronicled in a previous issue. The evidence of the husband was taken. He stated that after his wife's death he opened her trunk and found a letter addressed to him in which she states that it was her intention to poison herself, but no good reason was given for the act. In it she begged for forgiveness, declared her undivided attachment to her husband whom she strongly advised to give up drink. Medical evidence was given by Drs. Smith and Malloch, and their opinion was that the stomach should be sent to Toronto for chemical analysis, an idea which was adopted by Coroner Woolverton, and the inquest was adjourned accordingly for a week from Thursday to receive the report.


CARNEY (Belleville) - A boy named David Carney, aged 14, died suddenly in the Dafoe House this morning from an epileptic fit. He had left his bed and was found dead at the foot of the stairs on the flat below the bedroom.


December 28, 1877


THORNE (London) - Mr. Albert Thorne of the City Arms Hotel some ten days ago slipped and fell on the City Hall steps, sustaining injuries from which he died to‑day, aged 27 years.


WILTSHIRE - A woman named Wiltshire, wife of a G .W.R. employee, died suddenly of apoplexy in London East last evening.


FOSTER - Died on the morning of the 28th instant, at the residence of his father, No 38 George street, John A. Foster, in the 18th year of his age. Funeral on Sunday, 30th instant at 3:30 o'clock p.m. Friends will please attend without further notice.

HENNESSEY (St John, N.B.) - While crossing Musquash River below Sherwood lake, on the afternoon of the 26th, George Hennessey broke through the ice and was drowned. His cries were heard by some men working in the woods near the river, but before they reached him, he had disappeared beneath the ice. His body was recovered last night. Deceased leaves a wife and several small children.


December 29, 1877


DECARRIE (Montreal) - A man named Decarrie, 23 years of age, attempted to get on a Grand Trunk freight train at 12:15 to‑day at Wellington Bridge to ride home and fell, two cars passing over him. When taken up, he was quite dead. He was not connected with the train.


LECLAIRE (Montreal) - Louis Leclaire, son of John Leclaire, merchant of this city, was drowned at Riviere des Prairies by the ice breaking under him.


BARRETT - On the evening of Christmas Day, the wife of Mr. Thomas Barrett, aged about 48, resident in the west end of Dundas, had been out milking her cows, and on going in, complained that one of her legs felt numb. Her daughter saw something was wrong with her mother and got her into bed when she at once became unconscious and never rallied, dying in about two hours, medical aid being of no avail. Death was caused by apoplexy.


BARKER (London) - The funeral of William Barker was attended to‑day by a large body of brother Oddfellows and citizens generally. It seems that the deceased had been for some time suffering from heart disease, and when his fellow workmen called on Christmas Day to make a presentation to him, he was prostrate. They left the present and address, and departed. Some time after, he felt better and asked a friend who sat with him to read him the address. He did so, and shortly after, Mr. Barker expired.


December 31, 1877


RUSSELL - Died in Hamilton, at 101 Catherine street north, on Sunday night, the 30th instant, Agnes Jane McDavid, wife of Abraham Russell, aged 48 years and 11 months. Funeral on Tuesday, January 1st, at 2 p.m. Friends are invited to attend.


GRANTON - Mr. Alexander Granton, a prominent farmer near Granton, a pioneer and the founder of the village bearing his name, was drowned in a cistern on Thursday night last. It is not known how he came to fell in, but as he held a match in his hand, it is supposed that he was trying to strike a light while walking and accidentally stumbled. Deceased was aged 68 years.