Hamilton Spectator

                                                                    Deaths 1852


JANUARY 7, 1852


DE L'ARMITAGE - Died on New Year's morning at 2 o'clock, Henrietta Sophia, eldest daughter of Mr. De L'Armitage, editor of the Kingston "Herald", aged 5 years.


CRAWFORD - Died at Brockville, on the 19th ultimo, Charlotte, daughter of George Crawford, Esq., M.P., aged 4 years.


GIBSON - Died at Corby Hill, County of Cumberland, England, on the 13th November, of typhus fever, Mr. Robert Gibson, clogger, in the 54th year of his age; at the same place on the 20th, William, Son of the said Robert Gibson, in the 16th year of his age.


JANUARY 10, 1852


SHERWOOD - Died in this city, yesterday, Mr. Ralph Sherwood, aged 39 years.


ASKIN - Died in London, on Wednesday, the 31st ultimo, John Askin, Esq., aged 35, son of J. B. Askin, Esq., Clerk of the peace for the County of Middlesex.


ANDREWS - Died in London, on Thursday morning, Mr. James E. Andrews, aged 29 years, a native of Nova Scotia.


UNNAMED CHILD - (Toronto)  The body of an infant child was found embedded in the ice, east of the bush track leading to Privat's, by two boys named Wigmore and McAulay while skating on New Year's Day.  It appeared in evidence on the inquest held before Coroner Duggan that strangulation had been produced by tying a handkerchief tightly around the neck in a slip knot. Dr. King who had performed the post mortem examination could not say what length of time the body had been in the ice. Verdict: willful murder against some person or persons unknown.  The jury also made a presentment on Saturday last for the offer of a reward by the Corporation for the apprehension of the murderer.


JANUARY 24, 1852


MANNING - Died in this city, on Thursday, the 22nd instant, Mr. Moses E. Manning, aged 27 years.


COLLAR - Died in this city, on the 15th instant, Charles Maitland Tate, son of Mr. John Collar, aged 9 years and 16 months.

JANUARY 28, 1852


BINKLEY - Died in the Township of Ancaster, on the 26th instant, Mr. George Binkley, aged 70 years.  Friends and acquaintances are respectfully requested to attend the funeral to-morrow, Thursday, at 11 o'clock a.m.


WILLIAMS - A poor woman named Williams, residing in Tecumseh, being driven to desperation by a drunken husband, recently cut her throat with an axe. The miserable creature took the instrument into bed with her and perpetrated the fatal act by pressing her throat against the edge.  A coroner's inquest having been held on the body, a verdict of suicide was returned.


CLYDESDALE - Yesterday an inquest was held at the village of Waterdown before H. B. Bull, Esq., coroner, on the bodies of two men, father and son, named Clydesdale, who were found dead in an old house belonging to Mr. John Applegarth, East Flamborough. It appeared that the old man, accompanied by his son, came to Hamilton on Monday last for the purpose of drawing his pension, he having belonged to the Navy and lost an arm. On leaving the city for home, they crossed the ice, and on account of the intense cold, nature became exhausted, and on reaching the shore on the other side, they sought shelter. From the tracks, it appears that they crossed a fence and went to an uninhabited house; which being locked, they could not get into. They went to an old house where they were found on the following afternoon by accident as the place is seldom frequented. The deceased were quiet, sober, and industrious men, respected and esteemed by all who knew them. They were only a few months in the country, having left Scotland last summer. Verdict in accordance with the above facts.


MORSE - A correspondent in Hatley gives us an account of a sad occurrence which occasioned the death of William, son of Martin Morse, of that Township, a lad about 8 years old. It appears that on Tuesday morning, the 30th ultimo, Mr. Morse placed his son on a mare as he had often done before, she being gentle, to ride her to water. On his return as he passed the house, seeing his sister in the window, he smiled and gave the horse a rap, at which she set into a trot, and slumping from the path, threw the lad. The halter had a loop in the end which it seems the lad had slipped over his wrist, and he was dragged alternately in the air, at the horse's heels, and under her feet. The horse ran into the barnyard and leaping some timber against which the body struck, she then ran into the field again, turned from the path into the snow, and stopped, when she turned, looking at the lad until the father came and took the lifeless body of his son which, was dreadfully mangled and bruised. The funeral was held on New Year's day which to the afflicted family proved a melancholy holiday.

JANUARY 28, 1852


POWELL - An inquest was held on the evening of the 19th instant at the house of Mr. John Powell on Lot 13, in the 11th concession of the Gore of Downie, about 9 or 10 miles south-west of Stratford by Mr. John J. E. Linton, coroner, and a jury, Mr. James Clyne, foreman, on the body of Bridget Powell, sister of Mr. Powell. It appears in evidence that Mr. Powell, with his wife and baby, left his house before daylight on the morning of the 13th to help his brother, James, who lives half a mile distant, at the thrashing of his grain by a machine, and left his sister, Bridget, with three of his children, the eldest about five years old, in bed, and on their return in the evening at dark, accompanied by a neighbour, John Sullivan, they found the door bolted, and the oldest child from the inside called out that she could not open the door and that her aunt was hanged. The door was immediately burst in, and the body of the deceased found suspended by a red woollen sash from a beam of the house. The body was quite cold. It appeared that she had fixed the sash round her neck and over the beam, and had stood on a stool which was found tumbled over, her feet nearly touching the floor. She had fixed the pin or bolt on the door so that the children could not open it, and then she hung from early morning till dark with the little children as helpless spectators of the insane act. She was about 26 years of age and a native of Ireland.

It appears that the deceased, while out at service last summer in the 12th line of Zorra, had got a fall and hurt her back and head, and the evidence of Mr. Laycock, a relative, with that of John Powell, showed plainly that from September last when she left her service, she had continually complained of her head, and often applied cold water, vinegar, etc., to allay the pain, and also that she was absent or abstracted of mind, and was more different in her manner than before, causing fears in her relatives that she would ultimately become insane. There had been no recent symptoms so alarming as to cause any watch to be kept, but a latent unsound feeling must have existed before the rash act was committed. The jury was very particular as all juries on inquests should be to find out every circumstance connected with the fatal act, and ultimately brought in. A verdict of unsound mind, memory, and understanding, and while in that state did hang and kill herself. It may be remarked that the instances of suicidal destruction of life have been rare in the Stratford Settlement since 1832 when the first settlers came. This is only the second, and both were by hanging.


JANUARY 31, 1852


THOMSON - Died in this city, on Sabbath morning last, at the residence of Mr. Goldie, Mr. James Thomson, late merchant, London, C.W., in the 30th year of his age.

JANUARY 31, 1852


FLYNN MOTHER-IN-LAW - We have just been informed of a fearful and fatal accident which befell the mother-in-law of Mr. Flynn, a respectable school master living in the section back from Donkin's Inn, Huron Road, on Tuesday week last, the unprecedented cold day as our readers will remember. It appears that Mr. Flynn had gone to the mill with a grist, leaving his wife to teach in the school, the old woman, his mother-in-law referred to, being left in the dwelling house alone.  On his return the awful sight presented itself of his relative lying literally roasted on the top of the fire, her face and breast being horribly disfigured. It is needless to say the poor woman was quite dead. It is supposed that being a sober respectable person, she had fallen into the fire in a fit, and being unable to extricate herself, she had thus fallen victim to one of the most terrible deaths the imagination can conceive.


FEBRUARY 4, 1852


COSGROVE - Died in Toronto, the 27th ultimo, Bernard Cosgrove, late proprietor of the Boston Book Store.


LAVIS - Died in this city, on Sunday, the 1st instant, after a severe and lingering illness, Mr. Joseph Lavis, aged 35 years, much and deservedly regretted by a numerous circle of friends and acquaintances


FEBRUARY 7, 1852


McILROY - Died in this city, on the 5th instant, John, fourth son of Robert and Caroline McIlroy, aged 1 year and 6 months.


CHAVALER - Died on the 18th ultimo, at his residence in the Township of Finch, in his 83rd year, Colonel John Chavaler, of the 1st Dundas Militia, whose name is perhaps as intimately associated with the history of this Province as any other individual now living. At his former residence in the Township of Williamsburg was fought the famous battle of "Chrysler's Farm" in the year 1815. The deceased was one of the U. E. Loyalists and stood firm to the British Standard in the American Revolution. He was the first member who represented the County of Dundas in the Provincial Parliament, and engaged for a long time the confidence of his constituents, having served in that capacity for upwards of 20 years. He also rendered service in suppressing the Rebellion of 1837 and 38, at which time he turned out at the head of his Regiment at the battle of the Wind Mill near Prescott, and although then an old man, proved his loyalty and courage for the honour of his Sovereign and the good of his country, and to his last moments, his fidelity to the Constitution of Great Britain.

UNNAMED WOMAN - The Ontario "Reporter" states that a man and his wife, resident in the front of the Township of Eldon, were seen entering their dwelling on the night of the 22nd ultimo in a state of intoxication and carrying a jug of liquor. Early in the following morning, some sparks from the fire found their way to the bed which was made up on the floor. The bedclothes ignited and set fire to the building which was only saved from total destruction by the timely exertions of some neighbours. The man was severely injured, but the woman was literally burned to a cinder.


FEBRUARY 11, 1852


BELCHAMBERS - Died in this city on Tuesday, the 10th instant, Mr. William Belchambers, aged 65 years. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully requested to attend the funeral from his late residence, corner of Catharine and Tyburn streets, to-morrow, Thursday, at one o'clock p.m.


WELWOOD - On Tuesday evening last, a deplorable accident occurred by the upsetting of a wagon loaded with firewood while coming down the mountain, in consequence of which the driver, William Welwood, lost his life. He was in the act of turning the corner above the new house of A. Carpenter, Esq., and there being a good deal of ice on the road, it caused the wagon to slide and upset. The deceased was sitting on the top of the load when the wagon upset and was thrown upon his head causing almost instant death. There was another teamster a short distance behind who was an eye witness to the occurrence and gave all assistance in his power, but his efforts were of no avail. A wife and three children have to mourn over the loss of their protector who was an industrious sober man. He formerly lived at the village of Newburgh, 23 miles from Kingston, and had been in this city about four months. An inquest was held yesterday before H. B. Bull, Esquire, coroner, and the following verdict recorded: that the death of the late William Welwood was caused by the upsetting of a load of wood while he was turning the corner of the Macadamized road above the new building erected by A. Carpenter Esq., in this city. The jury also requested the coroner to represent to the City Council the unsafe and dangerous condition of the road at this point.


WEEKS (Nova Scotia) - At Shipharbour on the 29th December died Mr. Daniel Weeks in the 117th year of his age. Mr. Weeks was born in Long Island on the 3rd of December, 1733, and served in the British Army in which the gallant Wolfe fell September 12, 1758, at which time he was 24 years old. He adhered to the Royal Cause at the time of the revolution and received a grant of land in Shipharhour on which he has since been settled. He brought up a family of 21 children whose offspring to the third and fourth generations are settled around him and scattered in many parts of the world, numbering some hundreds. In 1838,

he enjoyed his sight, and till a few years ago, went bareheaded into the woods to cut wood and timber, an occupation he preferred above all others. Even when he became bedridden with age and weakness, he retained full possession of his faculties and endured but slight pain.


MILBOURNE - (Cobourg) A Mr. Milbourne in the County of Durham was called to take leave of his sick wife. The scene so affected him as to produce congestion, and in two hours he was dead. The death of both parents so affected the daughter, about 16 years of age, that she has been for several days at the point of death.


FEBRUARY 18, 1852


JONES - Died on the 17th instant, at the residence of her father, Rebecca Adelaide Jones, seventh daughter of Philip Jones, Esq., of Saltfleet, after an illness of three months. Her funeral sermon will be preached in Stoney Creek Methodist Church on Sunday next, the 22nd February, at 11 o'clock, a.m.


LUNN - Died on the 23rd of January, at the residence of his friend, Capt. Dyer, Dublin, Captain John Lunn, R.N., after a severe and painful illness, most sincerely regretted by a very large circle of friends.


OSGOOD - The Montreal "Witness" says: A telegraphic message from Boston, sent by a gentleman just arrived from England, announces the death of the Rev. Thaddeus Osgood. Mr. Osgood was an old familiar face to thousands in Canada where the memory of the valiant Christian soldier will long be cherished.


McKAY - A most distressing accident occurred in the Caledonia Settlement in the Township of Chatham about five miles from this town on Thursday, the 5th instant. It appears that Mr. James McKay, the father of the unfortunate youth who met with an untimely end, had proceeded early in the morning of that day to fell some trees in a piece of wood near his house which he was intending to clear up, and that his son left the house in a short time after with the intention of joining and assisting his father. The father was somewhat surprised that the son did not come to his assistance as he expected, but no alarm was excited until some time in the afternoon when they commenced a search, and the body of the young man was found crushed in a most fearful manner under one of the trees, probably the first which his father had chopped down in the morning. The young man must have been approaching when the tree started to fall and was not able to escape. The father continued to chop within a few yards of the mangled body of his son through the day, and his feelings can be better imagined than described where he found that he had been the unconscious cause of his death.

FEBRUARY 21, 1852


JOHNSTONE - Died in Brantford, on the morning of Friday, the 13th instant, Wellesly Kennedy, second son of W. Johnstone, Esq., editor of the "Herald", aged 11 months and 11 days.


ELLIS - A heart-rending accident occurred at the residence of Mr. Ellis on the 4th line, Trafalgar, on Monday last. Mrs. E. had gone out of the house seemingly about her ordinary avocations leaving her husband and a boy, her nephew. Mr. E. was engaged in perusing his Bible, and after having read two chapters, the boy asked him if it was not time to water the horses. Being answered in the affirmative, the boy proceeded with a pail, to draw some water from the well.  This operation had to be performed by means of a pole with a hooked end. On lowering the pail, the little boy found something obstructing its passage downward into the water. On looking more particularly he discovered the body of his aunt’s head downward in the water which is about five feet deep in the well. She was, of course, drawn up as speedily as possible and gave symptoms of animation. They proved, however, to be only the parting throes of nature, and the sorrow-stricken husband found himself a bereaved widower. Thus another name is added to the numerous winter's list of those who have been suddenly called from time into eternity. Mrs. E. was from Yorkshire, England. She leaves no family besides her husband. The deceased was highly respected among her neighbours who feel that the blank occasioned by her unexpected death is another solemn expression of the never-to-be-forgotten truth "in the midst of life, we are in death".


FEBRUARY 25, 1852


CLARKE - Died in this city, yesterday, William Rodolph Whitmore, adopted son of Hiram Clarke, Esq., aged 5 years.


UNNAMED GERMAN WOMAN (Ottawa) - Last Monday, a German lady, about sixty years of age, direct from Germany, arrived at the canal landing on La Sadle street in this place on the packet. Her health was feeble and as she desired to stop here, she was assisted in getting off the boat and conducted to Mr. Brick's hotel. On entering the sitting-room, she suddenly and quite unexpectedly found herself face to face with her only daughter whom she had not seen for a number of years and to see whom she had made a journey to this country. Each recognized the other and with ecstatic joy folded each other in their arms. The mother gave utterance to a few expressions of love and affection for her child, and then swooned away. She was placed upon a bed and all means used to restore her to consciousness, but all in vain. The spirit had departed; she was dead.

FEBRUARY 28, 1852


FORDYCE - Died at Belleside, Fergus, on the 23rd instant, Alexander Dingwall Fordyce, Esq., aged 66.


LOFT - One of the three persons killed by the late accident on the New York and Erie Railroad was an Indian girl from Canada West who, with her other sister and her brother, were giving concerts in the United States for the purpose of realizing funds for the conversion of the heathen Indians. Before proceeding to the United States, they gave concerts in the various towns and villages throughout the Western section of this province and in the course of their tour visited this city where they gave an interesting concert to a large and delighted audience. We believe it was their intention to have another concert here on their return home, but the recent calamity which resulted in the death of one of these beautiful girls, has deprived us of the promised treat.  Mr. Loft, the brother in question, called upon us the other day and informed us of his melancholy bereavement. He seems dejected and almost heart-broken, and no wonder, for the dearest tie which bound him to earth has been suddenly and unexpectedly rent asunder. His remaining sister, he informed us, had with difficulty survived the shock, so dearly and ardently had both loved their beautiful sister, now no more.

Mr. Loft directed our attention to the following paragraph which we copy with a melancholy satisfaction from the "Oswego Gazette"; The Indian girl mentioned in the telegraphic dispatch in another part of our paper as having been killed yesterday at Deposit, was Miss Su-Sa-na Loft, one of the beautiful sisters who recently visited this place with their brother, giving concerts in furtherance of the truly praiseworthy object for which they are labouring of raising funds to he used in educating and Christianizing the Mohawk people now on the reservations in Canada.  They are from Thayandanegea Township, Canada West, where their mother is now living. The deceased was 21 years of age. At the time of the accident, the passenger train was standing at the Deposit station. A freight train came up, the engine running into the rear car of the passenger train; the deceased being at the moment in the act of going forward to the next car, was thrown between the two cars by the concussion and horribly mutilated. General Morris of Binghampton informed Judge Avery of this place of the melancholy accident and of the lonely and stricken situation of the surviving brother and sister. Whereupon the Judge invited them by telegraph to return to this place which they did last evening, and are now at the house of Judge Avery where the funeral of the deceased will be attended this afternoon, the remains to be deposited in the family vault of Judge Avery until the opening of navigation when they will be removed to Canada.

MARCH 3, 1852


VANNORMAN - Died on the 18th ultimo, in the city of New York, Charles Wesley, youngest son of the Rev. D. C. VanNorman, late of this city, aged one month.


MIDDLEWOOD - Died in this city, yesterday, George, son of Mr. Middlewood, brewer, aged 5 years and 8 months. Friends and acquaintances are requested to attend the funeral on Friday next, at three o'clock p.m.


MARCH 6, 1852


PEACOCK - Died in Whixley, Yorkshire, England, on the 1st February, Ann, relict of the late Matthew Peacock, aged 72 years, late of Hamilton.


MARCH 10, 1852


BENTLY - Died in Hamilton, on the 2nd instant, Mrs. Bently, relict of the late Capt. Thomas Bently, of the 3rd Incorporated Militia, aged 67 years.


WARSOP - Died in Nelson, on the 7th instant, Mrs. Warsop, aged 31 years.


MARCH 13, 1852


TODD - On Thursday last, a fine young woman, about 20 years of age, a daughter of Mr. James Todd, blacksmith, at Glenmorris, fell down suddenly in her father's house where she had just come for a visit. The cause of the melancholy bereavement is not known as she had been in good health previously.


RAMSAY - Last week the body of Norman Ramsay, a person long well-known about Galt, was found frozen to death near his father's farm in Puslinch. He had been missing for some days and had sat down by a tree where he was accustomed in his journeyings through the woods to rest, and there dozed off in the sleep of death. He had been intemperate and on the last occasion, the whiskey was found by his side. The heavy snow storm having fallen since his death, he was with difficulty discovered beneath it. Coroner Seagram and a respectable jury held the inquest and a verdict in accordance with the above facts was recorded.


BLACKWOOD - We regret to notice in the last English papers the decease at the early age of 41 of Mr. Robert Blackwood, one of the proprietors of the well-known magazine bearing that name, and a member of the eminent publishers of Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh.

MARCH 17, 1852


McLEAN - Died suddenly in Cornwall, on the morning of Monday, the 23rd ultimo, in the 62nd year of his age, John McLean, Registrar for the County of Stormont, and for many years Sheriff of the Midland District.


WARE - Died in Kingston, on Friday morning last, William Ware, aged 42 years.


DALEY - Died in Montreal, on Sunday, the 22nd ultimo, Frances Louisa Scantlebury, wife of Mr. Joseph H. Daley, aged 28 years, after a lingering illness of five years which she bore with Christian fortitude, deeply regretted by a large circle of surviving friends.


SWAIN - Died on the 8th ultimo, at the residence of his father, in London, England, Mr. A. W. B. Swain, in the 34th year of his age.


MARCH 24, 1852


FISHER - Died in this city, on the 19th instant, Alice, infant daughter of John Fisher, Esq., aged one month.


MARCH 27, 1852


HUNTER - Died in this city, on Wednesday, the 24th instant, John W. Hunter, Esq., M.D., aged 36 years.


POWELL - Died at his residence in Windham, on Sunday, the 21st instant, Jacob Powell, aged 65 years. The deceased was a native of New Brunswick whence he emigrated to that County in 1797. He was one of the oldest and most worthy inhabitants and lived an exemplary life, sincerely respected by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. He was the oldest brother of the late I. W. Powell, Esq., of Port Dover, and father of Mr. George W. Powell of the Norfolk House.


THOMPSON - On the 11th of February, near New Orleans, Mr. Angus Thompson, formerly of Puslinch, and long and favourably known as mate of the steamer "America" and latterly of the steamer "Magnet". He left Puslinch a few months ago for a warmer climate in the hope of renovating his health, but the hand of death was upon him, and he sank into the grave at an early age, leaving an attached wife and children, and a large circle of friends and relatives, to mourn his untimely removal.


MARCH 31, 1852


EVANS - Died in this city, on Saturday, the 27th instant, Emma Burland, daughter of Mr. George Evans, hardware merchant, aged 7 months.

MARCH 31, 1852


MILLS - Died on Saturday, the 21st ultimo, in Hamilton, Canada West, of intermittent fever, Arthur William Bloomfield Mills, aged 6 years, the beloved and only son of William Mills, Esq., late of Havering Atte-Bower, County of Essex, England.


HARVEY - Death of Sir John Harvey: We regret to learn that the hero of Stoney Creek whose name is associated with many of the brilliant exploits of the last war, is no more. The Niagara "Mail" pays the following deserved tribute to his memory: Sir John was justly beloved throughout British America for his noble character and liberal views on all matters affecting its welfare. As successive Lieutenant Governors of New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia, his labours and zeal on behalf of the Provinces committed to his charge won him the deserved respect of all parties. In Upper Canada, his name is associated with that of Brock and Drummond as one of the small but invincible band of heroes who preserved this Province in the late war. The important victory of Stoney Creek, which in a dark hour turned the tide of fortune in our favour, was really the work of Sir John, then Colonel Harvey, and the yeomanry of Lincoln will regret as deeply as any the death of their old leader and companion in arms, the good man, the enlightened statesman, and true Patriot. He died at Halifax on Monday last, the 22nd instant.


APRIL 14, 1852


UNNAMED INFANT - The body of an infant was found at the side of the highway on the third line, Esquesing, some weeks ago. An inquest and post mortem examination took place, but nothing was elicited calculated to lead to the detention of the perpetrator or perpetrators of the foul crime of infanticide.


APRIL 17, 1852


FISHER - Died on the 13th instant, William, youngest son of Joseph Fisher, Seneca, Grand River.


BAIN - Died in this city, suddenly, on Friday morning, the 16th instant, Thomas, son of Mr. Thomas Bain, cabinet maker, aged 3 years and 4 months.


APRIL 21, 1852


SHAW - Died in this city, on the 19th instant, Mr. George Shaw, late 96th Regiment, aged 48 years. Friends and acquaintances are requested to attend the funeral at 4 o'clock this afternoon from Mrs. Jeffrey's residence, James Street.

YOUNG - Died in this city, on Sunday, the 28th ultimo, Mrs. Young, aged 70 years, relict of the late John Young, Esq., native of Langholm, Dumfries-shire, Scotland.


APRIL 24, 1852


RUSH - Died on the 15th instant, at the residence of Joseph Harris, Esq., of Hazelgrove, near Paris, Grace Rush, daughter the Rev. Robert Rush, County Antrim, aged 17 years.


APRIL 28, 1852


ELMSLIE - Died at 10 Monteith Row, Glasgow, on the 24th ultimo, Margaret Brodie, relict of the late William Elmslie, Esq., of Oversyde, Renfrewshire, and 3 Kidd Lane, Aberdeen.


MAY 8, 1852


DUNDEE - We regret to have to state that a young man named William Dundee was killed yesterday afternoon by the sudden falling of earth on the railroad works immediately below the city. The bank had not been undermined and every precaution was taken to prevent accident; yet from the treacherous nature of the formation, a portion of the bank gave way without the slightest warning and Dundee was caught. Death was supposed to have been caused by the bursting of a blood vessel. The poor fellow never finished his first day's work, having only been taken on in the morning.


MAY 12, 1852


DIE - We have hitherto omitted to notice an inquest which was held at Ancaster on the 26th ultimo before Coroner Mitchell on a newborn male child. The mother of the infant was a young woman named Mary Die who resided in the family of Mr. M. Crooks of Ancaster. It appeared that the child was born on Sunday, the 18th ultimo, and was discovered on the following Sunday morning in the privy during a part of which time it has been concealed in its mother's straw bed. From the medical evidence adduced it appeared that the child was born alive and had breathed.  The jury returned a verdict of misdemeanour against the mother of the child for concealing the birth and accompanied by an opinion that the child had lived and had come to its death by means unknown. The woman has since been committed to stand her trial for the offence.


MAY 19, 1852


BUCHANAN - Died at Hamilton, on Sunday, the 16th instant, Robert Andrew Washington, second son of Mr. Isaac Buchanan, aged four years.

MURCHISON - Died at Lambton, on the 12th instant, aged 52, Mrs. Duncan Murchison, relict of the late Duncan Murchison, Esq., and mother-in-law of T. C. Watkins, Esq., of this city.


MAY 22, 1852


BROWNE - Died on Thursday evening, the 13th instant, in Toronto James Browne, Esq., merchant and wharfinger of that city. Mr. Browne was a resident of Toronto of twenty years' standing, an active energetic man of business, and ready to lend his hand to all public improvements. He was for some years a member of the City Council and lately President of the St. Patrick's Society. He was highly esteemed by a large circle of personal friends in which his removal will make a sad blank.


MAY 29, 1852


RICHARDSON (Niagara) - We are sorry to record the death in New York of Major Richardson, formerly of Niagara and brother of the late Charles Richardson, M.P.P. for this town. In the world at large, Major Richardson enjoyed an extended reputation as an author. He wrote a very accurate history of the operations of the last war in Upper Canada for which he received honourable notice and a liberal gift from the Provincial Government. But he is more generally known as the author of "Wacousta", "The Canadian Brothers", and several other spirited and creditable productions of that class. His last work entitled "Wau-nan-gee or the "Massacre at Chicago" just published is said to be the best of his productions and one calculated to raise his reputation high among the novelists of the day. Major Richardson passed through a very eventful life. He served bravely throughout the late war, and also in Spain during the Carlist troubles in that country for which he received honourable tokens of regard from the Spanish Government.  Latterly he had chiefly devoted himself to literature, and with a growing reputation, he is cut off at the age of 53. Major Richardson was a very graphic and impressive writer. He excels in scenes of Indian warfare and military life, and the reader, notwithstanding many defects in style and a too frequent, lack of simplicity, will find his attention strongly riveted to the perusal of his works and their incidents marked on his memory long after those of more vaunted writers are forgotten.


McKAY - We have to record the death of another literary gentleman, Alex McKay, Esq., author of "the Western World". It will be remembered that he was employed by the Manchester Board of Commerce some time since to go to India to enquire into the best means of improving and extending the culture of cotton in that country, a work which he most ably accomplished, but unfortunately he died on his passage home.

ARMSTRONG - The river mail steamer "Ottawa", says the Kingston "Whig" of the 14th last, came up yesterday with a vast number of deck passengers on board. Among them were the family of Mr. John Armstrong, late Barrack Sergeant at St. Helena, consisting of himself, wife, and three children. As the boat came up the Rapide Du Platt, about four o'clock on the morning of yesterday, the wife was in the stern of the boat and actuated by some sudden frenzy, jumped overboard into the midst of the rapid waters. Of course, it was impossible to stop the boat and the woman drowned. The wretched husband stayed behind at the next landing place, Williamsburg, to look after the body of his wife, and the motherless children came on to Kingston. They are staying at the City Hotel.


DOYLE - (Quebec) About noon on Saturday last, a portion of a wall supporting the north side of the Government property known as the Jesuit Barrack Grounds, just in rear of Mr. Louis' shoe store in St. John street, gave way while three men were employed in removing a building erected against it, preparatory to renewing the masonry. The rafters of this out-building had hardly been removed when the wall came down, and strange to say, the man killed was at the time furthest from it, and his two companions who were standing at the base of the wall escaped comparatively without injury. The deceased was buried under some ten or more loads of stone and must have been instantly killed. His name was Doyle, age over 50, and he had been but a few days arrived from Ireland.

Of the other two, the one most seriously injured was bruised about the lower limbs only, and he is expected to recover. His name is Bulger; he was son-in-law to the old man and is now in the Hotel Dieu hospital. The third man was not so much hurt as to prevent his helping to remove the stones to find the missing party. An inquest was held on the body of Doyle at two o'clock when a verdict of accidental death was rendered with a caution to parties employed in demolishing walls to prop them previous to taking them down.


CORNSTOCK (Cobourg) - An Indian from St. Regis, named Simon Cornstock, who for some months has been living in Mr. Asa A. Burnham's woods, was brutally murdered by a Negro and his wife named Robinson under, as the Negro says, the following circumstances. The Indian, who was a drunken, worthless character, went over to the Negro's house to return something that he had borrowed. While there, he and the Negro got to drinking, and then to quarreling. The Indian got the Negro down, when the Negro's wife took up an axe and struck the Indian down and then mangled him in a shocking manner, nearly cutting off his arms and legs, and gashing his face and body in the most horrible way. The murder was confessed by a boy, a son of Robinson's, and subsequently by the Negro as above. The circumstantial evidence goes to convict both the man and woman of a wilful, deliberate, and cruel murder.

JUNE 2, 1852


JAGGARD - A little child, aged 17 months, son of Mr. William Jaggard, was killed almost instantaneously yesterday forenoon. A person from the country was passing down John Street with a heavy load of lumber, when the child ran out from his father's house in front of the team, and was knocked down by the horses and run over, both wheels of the heavily laden vehicle passing over the body. The poor child but two minutes before had left his mother's side and expired before he was carried back into the house which he had so lately left. An inquest was held on the body before H. B. Bull, Esq., coroner, and a verdict of accidental death returned.  The driver, who appeared greatly distressed, was absolved from all blame as his attention was at the moment directed to one of the wheels of his wagon which was loose while the child ran in front of the horses on the other side.


HARRISON (Paris) - On Wednesday last, a very melancholy accident occurred in this village.  A fine young man named Joseph Harrison was teaming hewn timbers to the river for the purpose of forming a raft. In going down a hill on Queen Street, the horses got on a trot, and the hind wheels running into a little gully in the road, the wagon tilted over. The deceased fell backward and one of the logs falling on his shoulders killed him almost instantly. A lad of the name of David Southwick was riding on the wagon; he jumped off the other side and was not hurt. An inquest was held before Dr. McCoch, Coroner, and a verdict of accidental death returned. We would remark that the hill on which the above accident took place is very narrow and steep, and would caution teamsters from going down it with heavy loads. There are two other good roads leading to the same place.


UNNAMED CANOEISTS - We deeply regret to have to announce that on Saturday last four men in the employment of Daniel McLachlin, Esq., M.P.P., were drowned at the Mountain Chute on the Madawaska River in attempting to run the Chute in a canoe. But a few days before, two others were drowned in the same river. It is really lamentable to observe the consequences of the reckless daring and wanton disregard of life which is so often exhibited by those employed in driving lumber.


JUNE 9, 1852


McMAHON - Died in Dundas, on the 31st May, Hugh McMahon, Esq., in his sixty-first year.  He was born in the County Cavan, Ireland, and left his native land in 1819, first settling in Grimsby in the capacity of school teacher. As his attainments were of a very high order, his labours at that early period were of incalculable advantage to the country and were appreciated by many who were qualified by him to enter on the study of different professions. For many years, he has resided in Dundas, and his love of literature was such, and his desire of

imparting the superior branches to the youth of the country was so great, that he declined many opportunities of profitable employment for the one in which he had laboured so long and successfully. Even to the period of his death, he devoted a portion of his time in instructing young men in those higher branches of literature which could not be so correctly obtained at any of the schools in this place. Since the incorporation of the Town of Dundas, he has continued to represent the ward in which he lived in the Council, being frequently called to that high honour by acclamation, and during that period, much of his time was devoted to the service of the town. During his illness, he was regularly attended by his clergyman from whom he received the sacraments appointed for the solemn occasion, and his spirit left this earthly tabernacle during the fervent prayers of an afflicted partner, children, and friends, wafted as it were to the God who gave it him on the fervent supplications of a devoted family. The scene was an awfully solemn one. In his death, Dundas has lost her best guardian, and literature, one of her most devoted and highly gifted sons. He leaves a large and highly respected family to mourn his loss. His remains were followed to the place of interment by his family, the Mayor, and brother councillors, the Sons of Temperance of which he was a member, and by a large number of people of the town and adjoining country.  Requiescat in pace.


JUNE 12, 1852


ELDER - Died in this city, on Thursday, the 10th instant, Elizabeth, wife of Mr. John E. Elder, aged 56 years. The funeral will take place on Sabbath afternoon at 3 o'clock from her residence, Hughson Street.


TAYLOR (Guelph) - On Friday afternoon Dr. Orton held an inquest at the Wellington Hotel on the body of Thomas Taylor who had that morning been drowned in the "Speed". It appeared in evidence that deceased, who had been in the service of Mr. Platt of the Wellington Hotel as hostler over two months, had rode the horse of his employer to the river near the Guelph Mills between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning with the intention as is supposed of cleaning him. He had not previously been in the river, and having entered near a deep pool, the horse got beyond his depth and threw him. The accident was observed by some children and a man at work in Mr. Allan's garden, but as there is no boat near, some time elapsed ere assistance could be rendered by means of a hastily-constructed raft. Deceased had sunk almost immediately on falling into the water, and nearly one hour and a half elapsed ere the body was got out. The jury returned a verdict of accidental drowning. The deceased was a quiet sober man, 25 years of age, unmarried. He had on his person at the time of the accident a sovereign and over a pound weight of silver in small coins received from parties whose horses he had attended during the few weeks he had been at the hotel.

JUNE 26, 1852


EARLL - Died in Syracuse, N.Y., on the 21st, Jane C, wife of Mr. Thomas Earll, of this city, aged 32 years.


LUTZ - Died in Saltfleet, on the 24th instant, Hannah, Wife of Mr. Henry Lutz, aged 44 years.  Friends and acquaintances are respectfully requested to attend the funeral on to-morrow, Sunday, at 11 o'clock from her late residence to the place of interment at Stoney Creek.


JUNE 30, 1852


DAVIS - Died in this city, on the 29th ultimo, in the 48th year of her age, Jannett, the beloved wife of Mr. Thomas Davis, late of Glandwr, in the County of Pembroke, and daughter of the late Thomas Scowcroft, Esquire, merchant of Haversford, South Wales.


WAYJOHN - An inquest was held on Wednesday last before H. B. Bull, Esq., coroner, on the body of an Indian named William Wayjohn, who died that morning in consequence of injuries he had received by falling from the Hamilton and Port Dover stage the previous evening. From the evidence of the driver and passengers, it appeared that the deceased got on at Hagar's Tavern and was then quite sober, but that he drank at every tavern at which the stage stopped afterward.  Consequently, in a short time he became quite drunk. One of the witnesses swore that at one house, he saw him drink two tumblers full of whiskey, and yet when he came to the next one, though in a beastly state of intoxication, he got more whiskey by paying for it. In this fearful state it may well be conceived that the passengers were put in terror of their lives by his outrageous conduct, at one time wanting to fight them, at another threatening to stab and shoot them. When about a mile from Ryckman's Corners, he made a grab at the reins, and succeeded in turning the horses out of the road, and before the driver got the horses under control again, the stage was within a foot of the ditch at the side of the road. The most fearful consequences might have ensued had the stage been capsized as there were nineteen persons on and in that coach; nine of them were females. The driver seeing the serious results that might follow if the Indian was allowed to go on, hit him in the face with his hand and on the leg with the butt end of the whip, telling him that he would make him quiet. This had the desired effect for a while when he became worse than ever. The driver and passengers again succeeded in quieting him in which state he remained for a couple of minutes when he fell off before the least effort could be made to save him. The wheels of the coach went over his legs, inflicting frightful wounds and breaking the small bones. One of his ribs were broken which lacerated the lungs, besides several other injuries about the body. He was conveyed to Fess's Tavern where medical aid was procured, but he died in about 12 hours after the accident. Verdict in accordance with the above facts.

JULY 7, 1852


FLINT - Died at his residence in Brockville, after a tedious illness, on Sunday, the 27th ultimo, at 10 o'clock a.m., Billa Flint, Esq., aged 77 years and 5 months and 21 days, very much regretted by all.


JULY 21, 1852


BOYLE - Died at Oakville, on Tuesday morning, the 20th ultimo, Captain Nicholas Boyle.

There are few of the class of old sailors now left to which Captain Boyle belonged. He commanded different vessels for twelve years in the employ of the late Colonel Chisholm, and for the last ten years in his own vessels, the "Enterprise", "Princess Royal", and "Mary Frances". He was among the first who settled in Oakville and was respected by all for the true characteristics of a sailor, sterling integrity, and benevolence of character.

His funeral takes place at Oakville this morning at 10 o'clock.


JULY 24, 1852


COOK - Died yesterday morning, in the Township of Barton, John, infant son of Mr. John Cook, aged 4 years.


REA - On the evening of Friday last, Mr. Robert John Rea lost his life by falling down a well on the farm of Mr. Millions, 9th line, Ramsay, under the following circumstances. The well hole which had been sunk to a considerable depth without obtaining a supply of water is near Mr. Millions' house, and that gentleman being anxious to come at water, had a hole drilled which was charged with 28 pounds of powder and fired off on Friday afternoon, the parties going into tea after the shot. When tea was over, the deceased proposed going to see the effects of it and was almost immediately followed by the others of the party who on coming near the well, heard deceased as if choking, when one of them rushed forward and endeavoured to catch Rea who had returned to the mouth of the well, but at that moment he fell back apparently from exhaustion and precipitated to the bottom where he had to lie for some time before anyone could venture down on account of the gas generated by the discharge, and life was extinct before the body was got out. Deceased has left a wife and helpless family to deplore his loss.


JULY 28, 1852


WESSLER - A fine young man named Frank Wessler, a German who for some time had been working at the Coach factory of Mr. William Robinson in Galt, was unfortunately drowned in the dam at Halton Mills in this village yesterday morning. Being exceedingly desirous of learning to swim, he had several times ventured into the dam beyond his depth, but the presence

of friends around saved him. Yesterday morning, however, about six o’clock, he passed through the work-shop on his way to take a bathe, and little attention was paid to him. About an hour after, some young men saw his clothes lying on the bank of the dam and gave the alarm. His comrades immediately turned out and found his body lying where he had sunk in twelve feet of water. He was immediately got out, but all hope of restoring life had departed. Dr. Seagram examined into the circumstances, and decided not to hold an inquest, the cause of death being so manifest. Two of his brothers reside in Preston, one of them arrived from Germany within the last three weeks.  The deceased was a remarkably vigorous young man, about 28 years of age.


MOREHOUSE - We regret to announce that Mr. Joseph Morehouse, a clerk in the store of Messrs. Grant & Erskine, merchants, Perth, was drowned while bathing in the River Tay on the evening of Wednesday last. It would appear that deceased entered the river about nightfall a short distance below Miller's Foundry, the deepest part of the stream, that he got beyond his depth, and being unable to swim, went down in almost sixteen feet of water. One or two other persons were bathing at the time, and several were undressing on the bank, but no timely assistance could be rendered. Through the praiseworthy and active exertions of Mr. Arthur Couch, the body was recovered at great personal risk, but not till three-quarters of an hour had elapsed. Prompt and immediate efforts were taken by Dr. Wilson to resuscitate the body, but all efforts proved unavailing. Deceased was only nineteen years of age, and his sudden and untimely demise is mostly deeply deplored by every person who enjoyed the pleasure of his acquaintance.


AUGUST 4, 1852


SCHRON - On Sunday evening last, a German named Johannes Schron, aged 19, was found suspended by his neck in the stable behind Mr. Weaver's hotel. An inquest was held on the body before Mr. Coroner Mitchell, and after a careful inquiry, the jury came to the conclusion that the deceased had hanged himself while labouring under temporary derangement of the mind. It appeared from the evidence adduced that the deceased was an immigrant who had just arrived from Germany, and that he was on his way to join some friends by the name of Smith who reside about four miles beyond Waterloo village. He came to Mr. Weaver's on Wednesday or Thursday last in company with a young woman, and represented himself as being out of money and wished to get into employment till he could hear from his friends near Waterloo whither the young woman proceeded. Mr. Weaver whose hospitable character is well known allowed him to remain in his house, and he in return cut a little firewood, but as no tidings came from his friends, he became down-hearted, but manifested no serious appearance of mental aberration. On Sunday he was last seen alive about 11 o'clock a.m., and was found hanging from the rack in the stable about five in the evening by Mrs. Weaver

who went in search of eggs. He had taken off his cap and neckerchief, and seems to have committed the horrid deed in the most deliberate manner. His feet were scarcely raised off the ground, but he was quite dead and stiff. (Dundas)


AUGUST 7, 1852


JENNINGS - Some four or five weeks ago, a little boy, son of Mr. Thomas Jennings, in Egremont, was sent on a message to a neighbouring house, and has not been heard of since. He was accompanied by a dog that was fond of chasing chipmunks, and it is supposed that he followed the dog through the bush so far that he was quite unable to return. Singular to say, the dog returned ten days afterward. Diligent search has been made from time to time, but sad to say, no traces have as yet been found.


SKINNER - The body of Miss Mary Skinner, who committed suicide by casting herself into the rapids a few rods above the Falls on the 23rd of July, was found just below that mighty cataract in one of the eddies on the following Monday.

It is said that she possessed an irreproachable character, and that all is conjecture with regard to the true cause of this ruinous act. It is thought by some that grief occasioned by the death of her father and the intemperate habits of a near relative together with an unfavourable change in worldly prospects, led to the rash and fatal step. Be this as it may, she never disclosed to any either the cause or purpose. A note was found from her pen informing her friends that they would see her no more except they found her below the Falls.

It seems she went to the river about nine o'clock in the morning, and leisurely took off her bonnet and dress, and left them on the bank, and then plunged into the rushing stream, and was hurried into the boiling abyss below. The body was recovered with great difficulty by the aid of spears and was stripped of its garments by the violence of the waters, one glove only remaining, and presenting a fearfully mutilated appearance.

This most affective event has spread a gloom over scores of minds, and should lead all to seek to put their trust in that Being who alone can prepare the soul for all the trials and sorrows of earth.


UNNAMED MAN - On Friday the 30th of July, an inquest was held by Dr. Raymond on the body of a stranger who was found drowned in the canal at Thorold. Deceased was seen here a few days ago in a state of intoxication. He took off his clothes and it is thought went in to bathe. No clue could be found as to his name, residence, or occupation. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came to his death by being accidentally drowned while under the influence of intoxicating drink. He had no money or other property. His coat is of Canadian gray cloth, pants blue. This is about the best description the coroner could give of him.

AUGUST 11, 1852


NEIL (Streetsville) - About 8 o'clock on Thursday last, John Neil, a shopkeeper residing on the middle road in this township, committed suicide by cutting his throat with a razor. His wife was present when he committed the rash act. Medical attention was immediately procured, but too late, as the unhappy man expired within fifteen minutes. Neil has several times previously threatened to put an end to his life. He was in comfortable circumstances.


UNNAMED WOMAN - We learn that a middle-aged female was found drowned in Burlington Bay yesterday morning. It is said the deceased was a native of England and had been in the country but a short time. From a letter she had addressed to her sister the evening previous to committing the rash act of self-destruction, it appears that she was a stay-maker, and being unable to obtain employment, thought there was no comfort for her on this side of the grave.  She was respectable looking person and her wearing apparel exhibited considerable taste and neatness.


AUGUST 14, 1852


FISH - Died in this city, on the 11th instant, after a protracted illness, Mr. Richard Fish, formerly of Nottinghamshire, England, aged 43 years.


AUGUST 18, 1852


TURNER (Montreal) - An inquest was held yesterday before the coroner of this district on the body of Mary Ann Turner who was severely beaten on the morning of the 28th ultimo by Mary Ann Graham, in consequence of which beating she expired on the morning of the 11th instant.  The jury, having heard the witnesses produced and after a deliberation for about the space of one hour, returned a verdict that the deceased came to her death in consequence of blows inflicted on her body by the said Mary Ann Graham on the morning of the 28th ultimo. Said Graham was immediately fully committed for wilful murder to take her trial on the first judicial day of the next Court of Queen's Bench holding criminal jurisdiction for this District.


AUGUST 21, 1852


ADDISON - Died in this city, on Friday, the 13th instant, Mr. James Addison, aged 39 years.


COOKE - Died in this city, on Friday, the 20th instant, Helen Sarah, daughter of Mr. William Cooke, aged 10 weeks.

AUGUST 21, 1852


YOUNG - Died here on the 17th instant, James Mathew, youngest son of Mr. John Young, Jr., aged one year.


DAVIDSON - Died at his residence near Galt, on Sunday afternoon last, the 15th instant, of illness & injuries arising from a broken leg, Mr. James Davidson, Sr., aged 76 years. The respected deceased was a native of London, England, and for many years previous to his emigration with his family to Canada, was an extensive manufacturer in Aberdeen, Scotland.  As a kind, cheerful and warm-hearted old man, possessed of a rare flow of good humour and an unaffected benevolence of nature, for his own values alone, many an eye will drop for him an affectionate tear of remembrance.


AUGUST 25, 1852


CATTANACH - Died at Woodhouse, Talbot District, on the 18th instant, Captain Cattanach, late of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders, aged 79 years.


COCHRANE - Died yesterday afternoon, 24th August, at his father's residence, Victoria Buildings, in this city, John, eldest son of Hugh Cochrane, Esq., recently of Toronto, and partner in the firm of McKeand, Brother & Co.


CHEP - Died at Strands Inn, Norwichville, County of Oxford, of bilious fever, on the 15th instant, in the 16th year of his age, Richard Beasley, only remaining son of James Chep, Esq., P.M., Ancaster. The affected parents of the deceased lad take this opportunity of expressing their heartfelt thanks and gratitude to the inhabitants of Norwichville generally and those of its vicinity for their marked kindness and attention to the deceased during his illness and to themselves while in attendance upon the sickbed of their son, who although strangers, received a kindness, attention, and hospitality that cannot be too fully appreciated and which never will be forgotten by them.


BLANCHET - On Monday last, the 16th instant, Thomas Blanchet, a carpenter, employed at the St. Francis Bridge about 2 ˝ miles from Richmond on the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railway, while endeavouring at a short distance from the bridge to pick up out of the water a hat that had blown off the head of his fellow worker, lost his balance and fell, and although the water where he fell was not over 4 feet deep, he was speedily carried, in the presence of his comrades, down the river to about 7 feet of water and drowned. The body could not be recovered until upwards of an hour after the accident. A coroner's inquest was held on the body during the afternoon of the same day and a verdict of accidental death returned. We understand the deceased was a steady respectable young man and the support of an aged mother who is living a few miles from St. Hyacinthe.

AUGUST 28, 1852


LARKIN - Died in Hamilton, yesterday morning, at quarter past four o'clock, at his residence on John Street, J. P. Larkin, Esquire.


WELLS - Died in Montreal, on Tuesday, the 24th ultimo, after three weeks illness, Alphonso Wells, Esq., Provincial Surveyor, in the 49th year of his age, greatly and deservedly regretted by numerous friends.


HENRY - A young lad, named Henry, an apprentice of Mr. Smith, coach builder, was drowned on Tuesday, while bathing in the Bay. The young man had gone beyond his depth, and taking cramps, was drowned ere assistance could be obtained. The body was recovered yesterday morning. Another apprentice was in the water with him at the same time.




CREED - Died in Hamilton, on the 27th ultimo, Sarah, wife of James Creed, butcher, and late of London, England, aged 42 years.


STEVENSON - A woman residing in this city, named Mrs. Stevenson, committed suicide yesterday in a fit of temporary insanity. She leaves a husband and three small children. No cause has been assigned for her committing the fatal deed.




BOARDMAN - Died at Hamilton, the 25th August, at the residence of her brother-in-law (Wm. H. Mills, Esq.) Frances Mary, youngest daughter of John Boardman, Esq., aged 19 years.


EVERETT - Died in this city, on Wednesday, the 1st instant, of bilious fever, Henry Otis Everett, aged 18 years. Deceased was a worthy and promising young man, and his loss will be deeply lamented by his friends who reside in Canton, Massachusetts, the place of the deceased's former residence.




MANSON - Died in this city, on the evening of the 6th instant, Charles McLean, aged 15 months, youngest son of Mr. William Manson.


ROSS - Died on Monday, 30th August, at Spadina, the residence of her grandfather, the Hon. Mr. Baldwin, Mary Louisa Maria, infant daughter of the Hon. John Ross, Her Majesty's Solicitor General for Upper Canada, aged 6 months.

SEPTEMBER 11, 1852


SMITH - Died at the House of Industry, on the 1st of September, 1852, Jno. Smith, or better known as Sir Jno. Smith. It is but just to remark here that deceased has long been supported by public benevolence, and not the least perhaps was that of J. Ketchum Esq., Senior, who for some years past has paid 10s per month towards his support and whose kindness is annually extended to other inmates of this House also.


WILSON - Died on the 7th instant, in Saltfleet, Laura Ellen, only child of Mr. Henry R. and Elizabeth Wilson, aged eight months. The "Christian Guardian" is requested to copy.


SEPTEMBER 18, 1832


GOODFELLOW - Died at Amherstburg, on Wednesday, the 1st of September, Ann Barbara, only daughter of the Rev. John Goodfellow, aged three years and 2 months.


YOUNG - Died in this city, on the 8th instant, Matthew Young, Esq., of the firm of John Young & Co., in his 32nd year.


YOUNGER - A melancholy accident occurred on Thursday evening at Corbett's Inn, at Flamborough West, to Mr. Thomas Younger, farmer. While driving his team loaded with flour barrels into the shed, he stooped his head to pass the cross girt, but the beam struck his shoulders so severely that his spine was broken, and after lingering for 30 hours, death put an end to the unfortunate man's sufferings. Drs. Mahon and Hamilton attended but could afford no relief.  The deceased was well known and respected in this quarter as an industrious farmer, having lived a considerable time on a farm at Cedar Creek. He was a large, heavy, powerful man, and we think his sudden and untimely end (he was, we judge, about 45) should act as a severe warning against the careless practice of driving hurriedly under sheds in the dark.


SEPTEMBER 22, 1852


GAGE - Died in Barton, on the 13th instant, Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Daniel Gage, aged 6 years, 10 months, and 20 days.


SEPTEMBER 25, 1852


MEIKLEHAM - Died in Wilmot, on the 21st instant, Mr. William Meikleham, farmer, late of Renton, Dumbartonshire, Scotland, aged 37 years.

OCTOBER 2, 1852


MANSON - Died in this city, on Sunday, the 26th ultimo, John, second son to Mr. Alexander Manson, aged five years.


WELLINGTON - The Duke of Wellington died suddenly from an apoplectic fit on Tuesday evening, the 14th ultimo, at his Mansion near Dover. The event has caused the most profound sensation throughout England, and the funeral solemnities are to be of a national character. The Marquis of Dover, now the Duke of Wellington, was in Germany at the time. He immediately returned to England. (A long article appeared on October 6.)


OCTOBER 9, 1852


NIXON - Died on Saturday, from an attack of palsy, at St. George, Dumfries, Captain Robert Nixon, of Grimsby. The funeral will take place on Saturday next, at 11 o'clock a.m., at his late residence, Grimsby.


SPAUN - Died in this city, Friday, the 8th instant, Mr. John L. Spaun, after a short illness. His funeral will take place on Sunday, at 2 o'clock, from his residence, Catharine Street. His friends are invited to attend.


CHISHOLM - Died at Quebec, on Wednesday, the 29th September last, William McKenzie Chisholm, aged 28 years, fourth son of the late Colonel William Chisholm, of Oakville.


DUBROY - (Montreal) Yesterday morning, a man named Dubroy, an employee of the steam propellor "Pioneer", met his death under the following circumstances. He, with two other men, Antoine Bonie, Captain of the barge "Cleveland"; and ________ Pellardeau, had been drinking at several taverns during the night, and when about adjourning to their residences, Dubroy and Bonie quarreled about some private matter, but through the mediation of Pellardeau the difference seemed to be settled, and they again washed down their bitterness with liquor.  Before, however, proceeding far homeward, Dubroy made some insulting remark, and prepared for fighting by divesting of his coat, while Bonie did likewise, and as the evidence of Pellardeau showed, struck the former with a blow (but whether with open hand or closed fist, the witness could not tell) which felled him to the ground, when he kicked him twice at least, upon which, evidently fearing that life was extinct, he knelt down and worked his jaws and discovering them stiff, he proceeded to the propeller "Pioneer" and told the men that their pilot was lying drunk on the wharf. An inquest has some time been held on the body, and a verdict acquitting the accused was returned, the doctors being of the opinion that death must have caused from some other derangement of the system other than violence of which, from the examination, they thought there was not sufficient evidence.

OCTOBER 13, 1852


GILLESPY - Died at Little Corby, County of Cumberland, England, on the 16th September, Ann, relict of the late Mr. William Gillespy, and mother of Mr. Thomas Gillespy, of this city, aged 84 years.


OCTOBER 20, 1852


GAGE - Died in this city, on Monday, the 18th instant, Mrs. James Gage, aged 75 years.  Friends and acquaintances are respectfully requested to attend the funeral this afternoon (Wednesday), at 2 o'clock.


McKAY - Died in this city, on Saturday, the 16th instant, Mr. William McKay, at the Victoria House, for many years a resident of this place.


SCOTT - Died at Morpeth, in the County of Kent, on Friday, the 8th instant, after a protracted and painful illness borne with Christian fortitude, Mary Anne, the beloved wife of Mr. M. Scott late of Norwichville, in the County of Oxford.


RAPELJE - Died at his residence, Simcoe, on the 7th instant, Richard W. Rapelje, Deputy Sheriff of the County, youngest son of Colonel Rapelje, of Vittoria, County of Norfolk.


WRIGHT, MORRISON, LETIE, McKENZIE - It is again our painful duty to record one of those distressing calamities which occur nearly every fall with such fatal certainty upon the coast of our northern townships. The sloop "Emma" of Goderich, owned, we believe, by Mr. J. Murray, the captain, and Mr. William Rastall , merchant of Kincardine, sprung a leak when about 16 miles from Saugeen. The water continuing to gain, it was concluded to put about. After running back about 12 miles, the vessel became quite water-logged and capsized at the distance of about 4 miles from the shore. At the time of the accident, there were eleven persons on board, four of whom were drowned. The seven persons who were saved succeeded in clinging to the capsized hull for about three hours when they were fortunately relieved from their perilous situation by the arrival of boats from Saugeen. We are informed that the boatmen who came to the rescue exerted themselves in the most praiseworthy manner.

The names of the drowned individuals are: Joseph Wright, of the Township of Goderich, farmer; John Morrison, from Cooksville, saddler; Thomas Letie, from Toronto, blacksmith; and a boy named John McKenzie, of Kincardine.

Those saved were: J. Murray, captain; J. Havener, sailor; Mr. Belcher; Rev. W. Crawford, Free Church minister; G. Swanson, Goderich; and Mrs. Morrison, who was the wife of John Morrison, above mentioned as drowned, and who had only been married about ten days, and in thus called to mourn in early widowhood her dire bereavement.

OCTOBER 23, 1852


SQUIRE - Died at Montreal, on Sunday, the 17th October, aged 57 years, the Rev. William Squire, Wesleyan minister, and General Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission, Lower Canada.


OCTOBER 27, 1852


WILKINSON - We regret to have to announce that we learnt by telegraph on Saturday evening of the death of Captain Neil Wilkinson, of the "Maple Leaf" after a few days' illness.


McKILLOP - Died in this city, on the 24th instant, Archibald, second son of Mr. John McKillop, aged 6 years and 4 months.


THORPE - Died in this city, on Friday, the 22nd instant, Mary Anne, wife of Mr. William Thorpe, stone cutter and builder, aged 40 years.


OCTOBER 30, 1852


BRESNAHAN - Died in this city, of consumption, on the 29th instant, Thomas Bresnahan, Chief Constable, aged 32 years.


DOUGALL - Died at his residence in Belleville, on Monday the 4th instant, John Dougall, Esq., of consumption, aged 55 years. Deceased was formerly a resident of this county where he had many friends.


KEEFE - An inquest was held yesterday by Dr. Craigie, on view of the body of a labourer on the Great Western Railroad, named William Keefe, who accidentally lost his life while descending from a large block of concrete or cemented gravel which rolled down upon him, crushing him to death almost instantly. A verdict of accidental death was returned. The deceased was a widower and has left two children to dep1ore his loss.


GRANT (St. Catharines) - On Monday morning, an elderly man, named George Grant, was unfortunately drowned while attending to his duties as keeper of Lock # 11. He had gone out at midnight to commence the lockage of vessels on the Canal, and at about five o'clock, his wife looked out for him, and not finding him about, she gave the alarm. Presently his hat and oil can were found floating on the water, and at ten o'clock his body was recovered. It is believed that he had fallen from the plank crossing the waste weir in the act of letting out the water mills below.


NOVEMBER 6, 1852


GILBERT - Died in this city, on the 4th instant, Eliza James, the beloved wife of George Gilbert, of this city, late of Market Harboro, England, much regretted.

NOVEMBER 6, 1852


ROY - Died in this city, on the 30th ultimo, Elizabeth Keeler, second daughter of Mr. Robert Roy, merchant, aged 2 years and 10 months.


NOVEMBER 10, 1852


MacDONALD - Died in this city, on Saturday night, the 6th instant, from injuries received from her clothes taking fire at an open grate, Julia St. Clair, daughter of W. R. Macdonald, Esq., aged 3 years, 8 months, and 17 days.


ATKINSON - Died in this city, on the 8th instant, Lucy, wife of Mr. Thomas Atkinson, butcher, aged 48 years.


NOVEMBER 13, 1852


O'CONNOR - Died in Montreal, on the 2nd instant, Captain A. O'Connor, formerly of the "Lord Elgin" steamer, aged 31 years.


O'KEEF - On Monday, the 1st instant, William O'Keef, of the 4th Concession of Beverly, put a period to his existence by hanging himself. He has left a wife and small family behind him, but we cannot say to lament his loss. He is said to be a man of most violent temper, and was a source of unhappiness not only to those bound by the laws of nature to protect, but an annoyance to the neighbourhood. Dr. Mitchell held an inquest on the body on Tuesday sen'night, and the jury returned the following verdict: Died from hanging himself while labouring under a state of temporary insanity.


FORD - We regret to have to record a melancholy accident by which an old resident of this city, named William Ford, has suddenly been deprived of life. The deceased kept a small tavern at the foot of James Street, and for some time followed the occupation of a butcher. On Thursday night, while proceeding to a boat which lay alongside the city wharf for the purpose of meeting some passengers he had engaged to convey to the city, he fell off the wharf and was drowned.  The night was very dark, and there being no light on the wharf which is extremely narrow, it is supposed that he missed his foothold and fell off.


PETITEUR - An inquest was held in this city yesterday on view of the body of a man named Petiteur, a Frenchman, who was suffocated by the smoke of charcoal. It appears that the deceased and another man, named Edward Miracle, occupied an apartment in the saloon of Mr. Burns on King Street at which they followed their business of tailors, and slept in the same room. They had been in the habit of burning charcoal in a small furnace for the purpose of heating their room, and on Thursday night, having closed the door and neglected to extinguish

the fire, went to sleep. Yesterday morning Petiteur was found dead in his bed, and Miracle in a state of insensibility. The coroner's jury returned a verdict of: Died by suffocation from the effects of charcoal. Miracle is still in a weak state, but is recovering.


NOVEMBER 17, 1852


DUNN - Died in this city, on the 16th instant, Isabella Margaret, second daughter of Mr. J. Dunn, builder, aged 6 years. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral at 3 o'clock, p.m., to-morrow, Thursday.


NOVEMBER 20, 1852


HUNTER - Died at his residence, Grimsby, C.W., on Thursday, the 16th instant, Andrew Hunter, Esq., at the advanced age of ninety-one years.


NORTON - Died of consumption, on Monday, the 15th instant, at the residence of Andrew Ingram, Township of Nelson, Eardly Norton, Esq., native of England, and formerly of H.M. 15th Reg't.


NOVEMBER 27, 1852


MURRAY - Died in this city, yesterday afternoon, the 26th instant, Louisa Ann, wife of Timothy Murray, Esq., aged 25 years.


DECEMBER 15, 1852


MacKENZIE - Died at his residence, Androse, Township of Oneida, on the 7th instant, James H. Mackenzie, Esq., in the 43rd year of his age


JOHNSON - As the labourers on the Great Western Railroad were at work on Thursday morning last, a portion of the bank suddenly gave way and fell to the bottom. There were about 30 men at work at the time, and one of them was suffocated by the sand although there was only about a foot in depth on top of him. His name was John Johnson. He was a sober, active, industrious man and kept a boarding house for the accommodation of some of the workmen. There were several of the other man partially caught in the fall, but none of them were seriously injured. An inquest was held before J. Bray, coroner, where it appeared that the undermining had been done to that part of the bank and that at the time it had a slope of fully one and a half to one. The overseers did not expect that it could be got down for at least a week, and had it not been that the foreman happened to be looking at the time and gave the alarm, in all probability the whole of the men would have met with a similar fate to that of poor Johnson. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

DECEMBER 18, 1852


BOND (St. Catharines) - A distressing calamity occurred in this town on Friday last on the inclined plane leading from the main street to Mr. Noble's grist mill. It is used for the passing of mill stuffs back and forth and is about 60 feet long with a descent of 18 feet. Mr. Thomas Bond, the lessee of the mill, had taken some grain upon the car to get down, and having seated himself in the front of it, the car was set in motion, when it shot down with frightful velocity. On the car striking the level at the bottom of the plane, Mr. Bond was thrown forward into the bottom of the mill nearly twenty feet, the car subsequently striking him. When taken up, Mr. B. did not complain of being much hurt, but towards midnight, he got worse, and in the morning he died.  The car was drawn up by a rope attached to the mill shaft and passing over a roller at the top of the plane, and it was believed that from the rope not being properly hooked to the car, it had slipped off on reaching the landing at the top. Mr. Bond was a worthy man and leaves a wife and child. He had fortunately insured his life in the Canada Life Assurance Company of Hamilton, but only as late as the 1st of December, and thus by one trifling payment, the widow and orphan have been partially secured from future want.


DECEMBER 25, 1852


FITZGERALD - From a correspondent in St. Catharines, we learn the following melancholy particulars of an event which has caused much excitement in that neighbourhood, and thrown a deep gloom over several highly respectable families.

Miss Fitzgerald, a young lady aged 17, lost her father some months since by an accident which some of our readers may remember. In descending the narrow pass between Stamford and St. David's, he slipped off a load of boxes on which he was seated, and the wheels of the wagon passed over him. Since the sad accident, we learn that Miss F. occasionally manifested some slight aberration of intellect, but nothing of a character calculated to cause her friends serious alarm.

It appears, also, that she spent a considerable portion of her time at the residence of a lady a short distance from her own home.  On Wednesday evening, the 8th ultimo, her brother saw that she was dressed about to leave their home, and on questioning her, she stated she was going out to spend the evening. He took no further notice and she went out. Days passed away, and it was only on Saturday night following that she was missed. Her friends believed that she was stopping with the lady at whose house  she spent much of her time, and the lady, believing she was at home, made no enquiry concerning her. The most serious apprehensions were then felt for her safety and enquiries got on foot in every direction. At length it was discovered that a sailor on the Tuesday morning after her disappearance, had found a shawl and bonnet on the end of the pier and had sold them for a trifle to a woman residing near that place.

   After considerable difficulty, a search warrant having been to be issued, the shawl was discovered and identified as having belonged to the unfortunate lady. It was also discovered that late on Wednesday night, a young lady, respectably dressed, had been seen in the port, and had enquired of two young lads the way to the pier, towards which she afterward proceeded. No doubt now remained but it was Miss F. who was thus seen, and that she had thrown herself in front of the end of the pier, having first laid aside her bonnet and shawl. Every effort has been made to discover the body, but hitherto without success, and it is scarcely probable that the remains of the unfortunate girl will be found as there is generally a strong current sweeping down between the piers. Sincerely do we sympathize with her friends under their grievous affliction and trust that they may, by recovering the body, be enabled to pay it the last tribute of respect. (Port Dalhousie)


MAXWELL - A melancholy affair happened in the Township of Bagot on Saturday, the 28th ultimo resulting in the loss of two brothers, Ronald and Daniel Maxwell, by drowning in the Calabogie Lake in this Township. It appears that they had been working at their business as carpenters with Mr. J. Donnely, High Falls, during the proceeding week, and had left Mr. Donnely's residence on Saturday afternoon for the purpose of returning to their respective homes at the foot of the Lake, some five or six miles distant. Not having come home, however, up till the succeeding Tuesday, the wife of one of the parties becoming alarmed at the husband's protracted absence, sent up to the High Falls, and learned that they had left that place at the time mentioned above. This led to a search on the following morning, and they were found drowned, as painfully anticipated, within two miles of High Falls, and within a few feet of the shore.


DECEMBER 29, 1852


FRAZER - A deep gloom has lately been thrown over our town by the sudden and awful death of one of our most worthy and respected inhabitants. John Frazer, Esq., manager of the Montreal Bank, was on Tuesday afternoon last, while driving in his carriage on the Proof Line about five miles from the town, by a farmer's wagon coming furiously in contact with the vehicle, thrown from his seat upon his head with such violence that he died in about two hours after the accident.  He was conveyed to Mr. Montgomery's Tavern where everything was done which kindness and medical aid could devise to mitigate his sufferings and rescue him from danger, but the King of Terrors had seized him for his victim and his grasp was irresistable. Mrs. Frazer, wife of the deceased, repaired as soon as she was apprized of the accident, to the place of her husband's sufferings, and the effects produced upon her nervous system were distressing in the extreme.  At the time of the accident, a lady, his sister-in-law, was with him and was thrown out, but, we are happy to say, she escaped unhurt.

The death of Mr. Frazer will be deeply regretted by all who knew him. As a neighbour and a Christian, his character was most exemplary. With firmness of mind and benevolence of heart, he was consistent in his conduct, and remarkable for his charities. Many who have been relieved by his liberality and encouraged by his pious example and character will now rise up and pronounce his memory blessed. The fatal accident forcibly reminds all who have been apprized that "in the midst of life, we are in death". We deeply sympathize with the bereaved and afflicted family. (London)


PARTRIDGE (Quebec) - On Thursday afternoon last, we regret to learn, one of the Richmond Railroad policemen, named Henry Partridge, was killed while on patrol near the Chaudiere, by a blast. A large stone, thrown up into the air when the explosion took place, fell upon his head and fractured his skull so that he died instantly. The unfortunate man, a native of England, was 25 years of age and leaves a family to mourn their loss. We need not sermonize upon the precautions which should be taken in blasting, but we may mention that a similar accident, having occurred in deepening Earl Grey Dock in the harbour of Dundee, it was found that the foreman of the labourers had not properly covered up the blast with mats, and in consequence of such neglect, he was prosecuted criminally at the instance of the Procurator Fiscal, convicted of criminal carelessness, and was sentenced at the Perth assizes in 1835 to imprisonment for a month in the common gaol of Dundee.


CANTIN (Quebec) - On Thursday evening, a habitant of St. Ambroise (Lorette), named Rouleau, shot a fellow creature under the following circumstances. Another habitant, named Cantin, alias Martel, whom Rouleau suspected of having paid more than ordinary attention to his wife, came to Rouleau's house with a stick in his hand to thrash Rouleau, when that individual ordered him away, and on his refusal to go, raised a gun, fired, and shot him dead. Rouleau, who is a man rather advanced in years, immediately surrendered himself to Mr. Falerdeau, a magistrate in the village, stated what he had done, and after enquiring into the circumstances, Mr. Falerdeau committed both Rouleau and his wife to the gaol at Quebec to stand their trial, the man as the principal offender, and his wife as accessory to the offence.